New Sound, Same Ear, Different Frequency, Feeling Crushed and Defeated

Discussion in 'Support' started by Anti, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Anti

Anti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 28, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Two days ago my standard 360Hz soundtrack for hating my life was joined by a new ~1000Hz tone.

I had just started to get used to the original tone, and if I'm being honest, I think it was going away. Longer and longer periods of silence. Now it's back, as is this new tone, and I don't understand why.

I haven't been around loud sound in ages. I baby my ears unlike any person I know. Nothing should have set this off, or caused any damage... I just don't understand. I'm so depressed. I feel hopeless... I can't concentrate on work, I can't sleep, I just move from room to room and task to task trying to distract myself from noise that isn't even real.

I find my mind wandering to thoughts of suicide. I'm just trying to outlive my parents so I don't hurt them. This is not living. I've completely lost the person I used to be.

Just venting.

2. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      seek treatment. Chinese herbs. Laser. Gingko.

I just suffered from acute sudden hearing loss along with tinnitus. Hearing loss is 100x worse and I wasn't even feeling suicidal. Just had to deal with it. Seek treatment and be proactive.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would get your ears checked for wax build up and inflammation.
      It is quite common for tinnitus change sound and add sounds and alter strength and sometimes for no reason.
      Tinnitus comes from the Limbic part of the brain that emotions come from so easy to see why emotions play a big part with tinnitus.
      The sound should go back to your base sound soon so try to stay positive .
      Let your doctor know how you are feeling and see if you can undergo some talking therapy as will really help your mood to lift....lots of love glynis

4. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      This might not help you, but maybe sharing might give you something to keep in mind. I have now heard too many sounds to remember for sure (I stopped counting at 11, but I guess it is 15 or more now) in the near 2 years that I have now had tinnitus, so in terms of length of time, I'm quite new, in terms of variability, I consider myself quite severe.

The usual triggers don't seem to apply to me, so there is nothing I can do to improve my situation. I can be really tired, drink caffeine, be stressed, depressed and it is quiet, or I can be feeling well and positive and it can suddenly spring up out of nowhere. There is no pattern, or triggers for it - it just happens.

I would not claim that I am coping at all well. I have moments when I just want to crawl into a dark cave and bawl my eyes out about it, but what would be the point? As soon as I stopped howling, I would have to listen this cacophony again.

Each and every time I get a new one, I know my brain has to relearn to ignore it. This is by no means easy, but it does seem to almost be that as soon as I'm coming to terms with 1 sound (and it sounds like you were), the new one appears. Over time, as new ones have appeared, eventually some of the others have disappeared. Others re-emerge briefly for a few days now and then and eventually seem to disappear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you only have it in one ear, or in both if i may ask?

6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I would highly suggest getting a free hearing test done at a hearing aid place and if you have hearing loss see if they will put hearing aids on you and let you go outside and see if it will help the ringing diminish or go away. You can also go to the ENT to get checked out. Lastly, you can try supplements and exercise to help you feel better and if that doesn't work you could ask a psychiatrist for medication to try to help you deal with it. Hopefully, you won't need to but as a last resort it is usually better than nothing.

7. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      It is generally my right ear that is louder and more intrusive and has the greatest variability. In my left ear, I have only ever heard Morse code type sounds, but the right side can be continuous, high or mid frequency , Morse code, sharp "pips", etc.

I also get central tinnitus, which varies from an engine roar, to a gas leak type sound. Sometimes, I have heard all 3 different types of sounds at the same time, but generally it is only 1 or 2 at a time, most commonly some type of central noise and my right ear.

8. glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the reply Owen :)