New Sound, What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by skate_and_die, Oct 21, 2018.

1. skate_and_die

skate_and_die Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012ish
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury??
      So I believe I've had tinnitus since I was a kid, but just over the past few years has it begun to really interfere with my life. I had a serious head injury in 8th grade, (roughly 5 years ago), which may be to blame. Immediately after the injury, I began having difficulties with my speech (stammering and pausing). It was very difficult to speak for probably the first two years, luckily I've coped with most of it and my speech is greatly improved to the point where I'm now working in a call center without major issues, though speaking will always take more effort for me than before the injury. The worst part of it all is that I never saw a doctor, so this injury is undiagnosed. It would make sense that this injury is to blame for my tinnitus, though I'm not sure.

I really don't want traumatic brain injury to be documented in my medical records, simply because I've always dreamed of becoming a pilot professionally (commercial or military). So I've been worried to mention it in case of jeopardizing my dreams due to health restrictions.

Just a couple of months ago, I started noticing a new occurrence with my tinnitus. If it gets really quiet, my right ear will get much louder than my left. I went to see an ENT recently and got a hearing test which came back normal (no hearing loss). The ENT then went on to tell me that there is absolutely nothing that can be done about tinnitus. I then asked him if there were any tests I could do to possibly find a culprit, but he told me he doesn't see any possibility in finding it.

I didn't like this answer, because of all the tests I've heard people do to find a cause for their tinnitus (blood test etc..). So I'm thinking of going to a different ENT. I even told him about my head injury, and just sarcastically responded with "Well you're speaking fine right now." It's like he didn't care to even listen. After that I mentioned I had sudden hearing loss a few months prior (lost hearing in my right ear along with ringing for a day, and fully recovered on its own). After this, he suggested an MRI, and that there's a SMALL chance of finding something.

Other culprits could be my severe anxiety over this past year and poor sleep habits. Also, back in 4th grade I had a kid scream in my right ear, which I believe is why my ear buzzes/clicks as a response to loud noises (even more so lately). My right ear has also always sounded muffled when plugging my left. None of these did I mention to the ENT.

Anyways, onto the reason for my post...

Should I get an MRI, and is there a chance of finding what's causing this increased tinnitus in my right ear? Should I see another ENT that's willing to try further tests to find the culprit?

I don't want an MRI to disqualify me from flying while at the same time finding out there's nothing that can be done.

Thanks if you read all of this and I appreciate any suggestions

- Taylor

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. marc 1974 london

marc 1974 london Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise i think ? stress
      I'd suggest you look at the severe anxiety as a priority & think clearly.

You are fuelling anxiety with so much thinking going on that’s making you think more, making you more anxious, think more, anxious & round & round you go

The rest you can deal with in more clarity, do some mindfulness & correct your sleep where possible, see an audiologist for tinnitus, maybe a CBT therapist too

Emotional responses won’t be your friend in your anxious state.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @skate_and_die
      Hi Taylor,
      You have done the right thing in going to an ENT.

It’s true that it is difficult to determine the cause of tinnitus when it’s not acoustic trauma.
      There is a small chance of an acoustic neuroma and the MRI is to rule that out.
      Given you’ve had a one sided increase, it may be prudent to do this MRI, just in case.
      Be sure to wear ear plugs and muffs when you are in the MRI though, they can be very loud.
      It may be an idea to see a neurologist about your head injury. I know you are worried about what this might mean for your future career as a pilot, but may also be useful to uncover what might be going on.

I hope that helps, sorry you are going through this.
      Sam.

4. Redocooking

Redocooking Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics possibly
      Welcome, sorry that tinnitus is starting to effect you more seriously.

You have to find out what the cause of this is. If you don't, it may effect you even more down the road and it might become impossible to become a pilot anyways.

In the meantime, you want to fix your sleeping habit as best as you can and address your anxiety. It won't be easy but it might be necessary anyways if the MRI comes up inconclusive.

Also, does any type of pressure on your neck, cheeks, or head change how your tinnitus sound?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      The clicking/buzzing in response to loud noise sounds like it might be tonic tensor tympani syndrome. If so, it just means your middle ear muscles are sensitive/jumpy.

Experiences like yours with ENTs is extremely common. Good ones are hard to find, but also they don’t know a thing about tinnitus (unless they have it) so couldn’t care less about it.

If you do the MRI make sure both sets of ear protection are used correctly.