New Tinnitus Flare Up, Advil Stops It — What Gives?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by greatFox, Oct 27, 2020.

1. greatFox

greatFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I've had tinnitus since 2015, new flare up this year. I also have a feeling of fullness. This fullness and hearing loss sometimes extends to both ears, but is mainly in my right ear. When it flares up, I cannot hear bass properly, and many sounds actually create low hums along with the real sound. Like this: If someone talks and says "Hi there", I also hear a low hum that goes "RR RRRR" along with the speech. Any sound does this, music, etc.

Went to an ENT and she just wanted to throw prednisone and antibiotics at it. I didn't take either because I won't take antibiotics for just a hunch. However, I did notice that her super bitter spray up my nose made the hearing problem lessen for a couple days. Since then, I have noticed that if my hearing is bad, I can take an Advil and the problem goes away after a few hours, and stays lessened for a few days. This suggests to me that there is some sort of inflammation going on. Anyone else experience this, and if so, did you find a cure? I am a musician by hobby, and it is driving me nuts not being able to hear right.

Oh, also, this happened previously twice for a few weeks at a time, both after getting ultrasonic cleaning at the dentist, so I never had that done again. However, this has recurred for no reason I can think of. I wasn't anywhere near the dentist, and this has persisted for a couple months now.

Thanks much.

2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      How was your tinnitus onset in 2015?
      Any idea what was in the spray?

It does sound inflammation or middle ear or inner ear fluid related. I have something very similar and Meniere's was suggested but seems really doubtful.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      greatFox

greatFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nope, not sure what was in the spray. Something to open the sinus for the nose probe.

The 2015 was the dentist, ultrasonic cleaning. Happened twice, then I had the dentist use the scrapers only, and it didn't recur again until a couple months ago.