New Tinnitus Sufferer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RamJam, Dec 12, 2014.

1. RamJam

RamJam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/14
      Hi everyone.
      I'm writing this to vent I guess. Finding this website was a bit of a blessing. I can't believe how bad this is and that its getting even worse.

About a week ago my dumb ass visited a doctor for a fairly minor health complaint. I caught a cold, and pretty much immediately i started suffering with mild tinnitus. At first i thought "this is aint so bad" but it just got worse and worse. Its now a screeching neverending dog whistle noise that i almost cant mask. Its unbearable. Standing next to the faucet with both taps running almost drowns it out but not quite. I'd rate it maybe a 7 or 8 atm. Sometimes it dies down to a 4 or 5 but mever for long. Sometimes it'll jump to a 9 or 10 where its just excruciating and i feel like my heads about to explode. I can only sleep when my body's exhausted and basically just gives up.

No pain i've ever felt in my life compares to this, Broken bones migraines damaged molars nothing. This is a living hell and i know its disgusting to say this around other sufferers and i hate myself for it but i wish i was dead.

I just turned 24 and i cant do this for another 50 or 60 years. Goddamn theres no relief. God help me i can't live like this. Thinking of ending it all. Its like there's buzz saw goong off in my head.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. xanaxvictim

xanaxvictim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Xanax
      Since your case is still acute would you consider trying Retigabine?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RamJam

RamJam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/14
      If I could get it prescribed then perhaps. The potential side effects are a little off putting but I'd consider it!

4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Dude you just got T...It might go away or resolve on it's own. Just protect your ears ... and honestly, stay off of tinnitus boards after you've gathered enough info. See a GOOD ENT / Audiogist asap.

LOOK INTO THE AM-101 trial.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RamJam

RamJam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/14
      Thanks - I know that post was excessive. The volume puts me in a state of panic I guess, and I'm exhausted. Fully intend to see an ENT as soon as I can. Why do you reccomend staying away from boards?

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Many of us here were where you are. Your description of having the faucet running to mask the T reminds me of my experience with my new T (and hyperacusis too) a few years back. I had to have the faucets and the shower going too. Yes, that was a horrible time not knowing what to do with this new sensation, and it gave me chill & despair to think how to live for long term too. But don't think so much ahead yet. One day at a time.

Firstly, you should post your condition to the main Support Forum for others to give you their collective advice. There are more members reading that forum. Secondly, try to read up the success stories and you will know many people report the same initial struggle as you and eventually either get better or habituate to the ringing. The same sound used to scare me to death but not now. The body can get hardened to the same repeated sensation over time.

If it gets too spiky, you can get some nature sounds such as heavy rain, waterfall, waves, cricket sound, running water, shower sounds etc (either from sound generator, youtube, or from places which sell these sound tracks or CDs). I download these sounds on ipod so I could get mobile masking. But smart phones nowadays should have APPs on sound generators. You can also get a free download of 'Aire Freshener' on your PC so you can get many sounds to choose from. If you need more masking suggestions, either search 'masking' on the forum or ask members to give you suggestions on the Support Forum. Don't panic and relax. Things will settle down with time and you will be able to cope with your T better. It may fade with new T. You never know. Take care and God bless your recovery.

7. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      It it to late for steroids?

8. EternalSufferer
      Wtf

EternalSufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows?
      Ive had T in my right ear since January. It sucks. I feel you. I dont hear it much during the day, but at night it blows. I recently was prescribed XANAX and I tell you it helps especially at night. You dont want to take too much though as you can easily feel like a zombie. But it does seem to help me. I also started taking some Lipoflavonoid vitamins. A doctor told me they can help the inner ear. Go see your doctor. Do the research. You will see that the XANAX does help and it will help you with the anxiety at the same time.

9. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      be careful with the xanax.

can cause rebound effect.

can make tinnitus permanently worse after you stop it.

BENZOS ARE NOT SAFE. you should only use them if no other option!! this forum has many members which tinnitus caused by benzodiazepines.

10. melfreeman08
      Blah

melfreeman08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection
      I disagree. Benzos can be safe if taken as prescribed and for short periods of time, and at the lowest doeses. During my initial T, when the anxiety was so incredibly bad- it was the only thing that got me through the day. I agree that for some it can cause lots of problems (even increase T), but everyone is different and I've read lots of success stories and even some published journals on the effects of reducing T. It sounds like the best thing to do is see your doctor and get some relief from the depression/anxiety.