New to Meniere's Disease

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KevinTalleyPhoto, Oct 23, 2019.

1. KevinTalleyPhoto

KevinTalleyPhoto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Almost 47 years old and can't believe how much my life has changed because of this disorder.
      Mine started January 16th 2017... My wife and I were getting ready to leave for the gym, I was laying on the couch getting ready to sit up quickly and when I did I got light-headed and slightly dizzy from getting up too quickly. Unfortunately that feeling of dizziness never went away for nearly one year. After seeing two different ENT, they've basically diagnosed me with labyrinthitis. Nobody never mentioned Meniere's disease to me. Although looking back now I have all the symptoms. Fullness in the ear, ringing in the ear, hearing loss by about 60% at lower tones, and of course dizziness depending on the activity I'm doing.

I've always been extremely active in the gym and always maintained a high fitness level, however this has totally changed everything I do. The littlest movements in the gym sometimes causes the biggest issue is where I have to leave sometimes almost immediately because of the onset of dizziness, and a fullness in the head. Which in turn also causes a slight panic attack and then complete fatigue afterwards.

I've never reached out to anyone on a website asking for advice or help, but this disorder can definitely be debilitating on certain days...

I can still maintain lots of things I used to do but I find myself not leaving the house very often because of the worry of getting dizzy or uncomfortable in public. Even the embarrassment of going to the gym because sometimes I walk in and 5 minutes later I'm walking out because of one exercise that might have set off the dizziness.

I find that it takes roughly between 15 to 30 minutes for the dizziness to completely wear off and I feel back to normal. However if the ringing in the ear has been non-stop since 2017. It's very dominant in my left ear and my right ear seems to be in perfect health.

I guess I'm wanting to know if anyone else with Meniere's has found any success in any form of treatment and how are they coping with working out in regards to exercise? I also find it difficult to even walk my dog a certain distance because of the up-and-down jarring that will set off the dizziness with in about 20 minutes or less.

I found it very discouraging of course that the simplest things that I used to do are now difficult and very disheartening but I cannot perform the way I used to.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @glynis