New to the Community — Nerve Damage from Concussions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rolo53, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Rolo53

Rolo53 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have had several severe concussions and have talked to my
      I have had several severe concussions and have talked to my neurologist about the loud constant ringing in my ears. I was then sent to an audiologist who confirmed it was nerve damage after many tests. It is physically and mentally draining sometimes.

This site seems to be really wonderful for discussing and educating of treatments and research

-Rose

2. Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Rosie_Rose Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      @Rolo53 -

Welcome aboard! This is the place to be if you suffer from T. Some many helpful people and posts. I myself have T from a severe car accident (and concussion). After 4 years have you learned to cope with your T?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rolo53

Rolo53 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Rosie_Rose hi! Another Rose

I can habituate it when there are a lot noises around me and almost sort of meditate through it with the noise help. The catch 22 is because of the nerve damage I’m hyper sensitive to sounds. When I can’t, like today, it is such an isolating feeling. So, I’m glad to be here!

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the board. Yes here you are never alone. You are welcome to chat and rant or lend some support when needed. There are always others who have it worse. Are you saying you have hyperacusis when you say you are hyper sensitive to sounds? Can you take masking sounds? I used to have severe H too besides my high pitch T. So I know and have empathy to your suffering. Take good care. God bless.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rolo53

Rolo53 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Billie! Thank you for responding! Everything is so new to me on here! Haha.

Yes, I have H along with my high pitched T. I went to an audiologist a couple of years ago. She told me I could use some type of masking implant. I cannot remember what it is called because she told me it would be 20k out of pocket and I am a student with debt already. Haha. I always say someone has it better and someone has it worse. The audiologist said most insurances won’t cover the implants, and she said it was extremely difficult to tell that to veterans. My heart just goes out to those people who suffer. Like they need anymore trauma reminders from their service.

My Neurologist who specializes in post concussion disorder recommended I see an audiologist because he was very doubtful anything could be done to make my ears stop, as she confirmed. I do try and mask it with white noises and take B vitamins and other supplements that I have read can help finish the noises some.

I’m in a LDR visiting my boyfriend in the mountains and it’s crazy how intense the loudness will get here.

Anyway! That’s my silly story in a nutshell. I can’t contribute with information, but I’m excited to use this as a rescource to learn.