New to Tinnitus — Maybe Dental Related?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sassue2u, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Sassue2u

Sassue2u Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at this point
      Thank you for the add to this group. I stumbled upon it by accident while doing what probably everyone else here has done at some point - Googled tinnitus.

Mine began roughly around November 2018. I didn’t even realize it at first. I just became aware one night when I heard a strange noise while lying in bed. I wrote it off as something to do more with the fan I sleep with next to the bed than anything related to my ears. But it kept happening, just not so much so - or loud enough - to set off any red flags for me. And since it didn’t occur every night, I basically ignored it.

Flash forward to last week. I had a dentist appointment that involved some shots and a fair amount of drilling. I was a little sore in my jaw the following day, nothing else. The day after that was the first time that nighttime ‘hissing’ popped up during the day. And it has been with me, off and on, ever since.

I saw my PCP this week who basically said that most people never find the cause of their tinnitus or relief from it, they just learn to live life with it. And she referred me to an ENT. I don’t accept that. And while I have to wait almost two weeks before I can see the ENT, I’m going to gather as much info as I can. They’re also sending me to physical therapy as well. I’m kinda excited about that.

I’m sorry this is probably too long. I just want to mention that prior to my nighttime discovery in November, I had been going through several months of dental work. It was a very stressful time for me (and my mouth!). I have never been diagnosed with TMJ but I do suffer from bruxism and wear a nightguard to sleep or I will just continue to destroy my teeth. So I firmly believe that this tinnitus is related - somehow - to all my dental work and my teeth grinding. It’s just my gut feeling. So if you have any experience with tinnitus from something like that I would love to hear from you with any information or feedback. Meanwhile...I’m continuing to gather as much info as I can.

Thank you so much!

2. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Welcome, and your in the right place. There are so many different degree's of Tinnitus and opinions about how it came, whether it was sudden, over time, a bunch of progressive steps. etc; .... One common thread that seems to follow throughout this website from experienced Tinnitus suffers who have delved deep into the known research is that Tinnitus is related to "hearing loss" of some sort. Maybe hearing loss you are not even aware of. Anyway like I said, you are in the right place. And no, it's not too long. -J

• Like Like x 1