New to Tinnitus... And Going Crazy :(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Raytr, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Having this noise for 7 days now and I thing I will go crazy .Went to see the ENT yesterday hopping that maybe fluid on left ear was causing the noise no luck on that.He said I have some hearing loss on my left side but he said its probably from stress and since I had pneumonia in January following a flu and probably a cold about 10 days ago I have been stressed enough .I have to mention that I haven't needed any doctors help for the past 10 years at list. I think my life its over and I wont be able to enjoy anything anymore.I can tolerate any pain but I never thought of this which is worse than anything .I am glade to hear that so many in this forum are able to manage it and I wish I had the faith to believe that I can manage it too someday.Sleep has been terrible 3-4 hours sleep at night time.I just miss that quiet peace more than anything now. I wish luck to anybody to this forum managing their tinnitus !! GOD HELP US !!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. StayPositive
      Jaded

StayPositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hey Raytr,

Sounds like you're in a similar boat to me, being one of the newest here to have Tinnitus. It's strange isn't it? One day your hearing is basically okay, then the next your life seems to completely change. Best wishes on your road to habituation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Raytr hang in there and try to get some sleep meds sleep is important.
      Time is the only thing that teaches us how to handle T ...I've had T for 6 months now and at first I didn't think I could live this way and as time passed I have accepted it more and more and in turn my desperation has loosened its grip on me.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    4. TomT
      Balanced

TomT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      You will be ok

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Raytr, yeah T sucks!!! But find some encouragement here on TT! Great people all dealing with T in it's various forms. Lots of good info and inspiration!! I echo what the other replies have told you. You WILL be OK and get through. Definitely have to get stabilized and get some sleep first!!! Sleep is SO important to managing T! Get some meds, exercise a lot, masking device at night, etc.... Do what ya gotta do to get some zzzz's!!

:welcomesignanimation: Best to you!!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Chantal
      Digging it

Chantal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Hello! I am new to the forum. As far as I remember, I've had tinnitus for 14 months or so. At first, it was not constant, but now, it is an every day. All the time. No silence.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Chantal! :welcomesignanimation: I am very glad you found TT!! As you can see, you are not alone with T!! Lots of us here, in various stages of dealing with all types of T. This is a great resource for support and information!! Stay connected!!

My T is also 100% constant, day and night. It SUCKS! Especially because mine is really high pitch and high volume. BUT...I am habituating ( I have had T about the same amount of time as you), and my life is WAY better than it was early on!! There is hope!! It can and will happen, especially if you really want it and are willing to work at it!!

Spend some time (looks like you have already) hunting around TT, look for different treatments, therapies, and ways that people are coping with T. Try all sorts of things until something gives you some results!! (y)

Best to you!!

• Like Like x 2
    8. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Raytr
      Sounds exactly like me last year! It sucked; that's the best I can say about it. I thought my life was over too; trust me, it's not. Although this last year has been a struggle (for me) I can honestly say I've got my life back (and I'm a lot better person for having made it through). Listen to everyone on this site when they say it gets better; it does. I know that is hard to accept right now; I remember being absolutely 'buried' by what was happening to me -- I hated it.

I notice you mention faith; it's not so much about the veracity of your faith (faith is not a force you can call on to make things happen); it's about accepting your situation (whether it's permanent or not) and trusting God knows what He is doing. When you start accepting it, you severely slow the fight/flight mode that is ravaging your brain right now (makes it very hard to think straight) and it is causing your T to go through the roof. As hard as it is, try to accept your situation a little more each day; then you can start to relax (and think more objectively).

You cannot take control of your situation until you accept it.

If you feel up to a challenge (if too soon, no worries); try to do something you want to do but can't quite bring yourself to do because of your T (and its resulting depression). For example, I remember the first day (it was a Saturday) that I wanted to clean the garage but I was so overwhelmed with depression and anxiety I struggled to do anything (couldn't get out of my own smoke). Nonetheless, I decided to 'saunter right by my T' and I did it anyways (T and all)! What a world of difference it made; I thoroughly enjoyed that day and I proved to myself that T wasn't totally in charge. If you are not ready for a challenge yet (understandable) just tuck it away in the back of your mind and use it in the future. It's called taking your life back; you WILL do it in time!

Prayers for you!

Mark

• Like Like x 5
    9. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012

Hate to say it, but I developed mine in similar circumstance and felt the exact same way.... keep your hearing busy with soft music to just barely cover the T.... and get busy with living, do anything that make you happy... I mean anything.. and get some time between today and a year from now... your brain is staring at the T, and the T won't blink, its like the Terminator.... and all you can do is survive by making it to the next day until days are weeks, weeks are months and months are years.. and it will be less bothersome, a lot of us who got the T thought we couldn't carry on and even imagined how we were going to end it all... but we didn't and you won't either. It made go away, its to early to tell... see if a hearing aid will help. but I am telling you, give your brain something else to listen to..!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I really appreciate all you guys .I have no idea how I could do without you and this forum.Now 1 month later the T is still there 24/7 high pitch but good news is that I am sleeping better and I am not that scared as the beginning at list not still thinking that my life is over .I am starting to wake up early as the first weeks I just didn't feel it was worthy to get out of the bed ,even talking was a hard work to me .Vacation time its all gone so now I have to wake up early no matter what and I think that really helps to keep going.Finally yesterday I went to a bar and even that I knew that having alcohol it will increase the volume I just didn't care and gave it a try so it really did raise the volume but when I got home I just passed out so it was well worth it :) I am trying to avoid all quiet places especially closed rooms and having conversations really helps because sometimes I really forget that my T is there but as soon as I get alone and quiet it starts to scream but hopefully it wont bother me later on as I get habituated .I really want to believe that someday a cure will come for all of us but probably till then we wont really care about the cure and this is my biggest hope...

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014

Hello Mark ,
      I just wanted you to know that I read your message probably 10 times a day .You and others really Helped me to get through this . GOD BLESS YOU !

Ray

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Chantal , my T is the same way and was since the day one , non stop high pitch 24/7 just like Jeff M. I am glade I cant hear it when I am sleeping or at list that's what I believe . Having a break from T during the day its all I'm asking but I am not that lucky :)

13. TwinGlocks

TwinGlocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2013
      I wanted to kill myself when I first came down with T but you can expect it to get better both in terms of T volume and your ability to tolerate it.

• Like Like x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014

Trust me I had the thought to kill myself for the first week every day .I have never suffered from anything in my life and I have been very active till I got T so it was the most shocking moment and if it wasn't for the people I love and love me I would be dead by now.Talk with people that understands you. This forum is the best place,it did help me a lot .I think there are plenty good reasons for T suffers to be alive :) Dont give up ,better days are coming .....

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      I'd tend to agree with @TwinGlocks, I try to tolerate it. I can't find a way to manage it, it seems to have a life of its own. Pulsing, pulsing, its a few or more bad days and then a couple or not so bad days, kind of. Try to forge ahead in your life @Raytr, sleep well and keep your energy level up. I hope the T won't stop any of your life. Let yourself get distracted in activities. We don't have much choice.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012

I don't think T has volume, in the same sense of a normal percussion wave our ears detect and turn into a sound, but I really think when we begin to habituate, our brain pays less attention to it, and is no longer afraid of it, and the volume, in a sense lowers, that is why I say, don't fret over it, leave it alone and get on with life...:).. just my thoughts...

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I think you're right.I don't think my volume changes its just the way I precept it .After 1 month with T i finally went and have a few drinks just to try it out if was going to make a difference on my T and actually did.But I think that my T didn't change at all I just got a little drunk and I wasn't hearing to much what others were saying so my T took over till I went to sleep.Thank God I don't hear it when I sleep :) !

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Today was wierd , usually my T its only on my left side and its always high pitch but today the right side was like shhhh.... and than went high pitch too but still not as bad as the left side.its when it went to high pitch that I realized that it had a noise like a busy street or shoop.had 4 audigrams so far and I have a noch on 4 kHz which according to audiologist its from exposure to high noise but still considered normal hearing .I have no idea but how can somebody get habituated with a T that changes like that ?

19. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Raytr,

I know it's hard to believe that you could ever adjust to fluctuating tinnitus, but take it from someone who has had tinnitus for a long time --- it is possible! Please give it some time, and you'll find that things will get easier. You'll still have good days and bad days, but overall, your mind and body will adjust to these new sounds.

Mine is a constant hissing sound, along with other fluctuating sounds, plus pulsating in time with my heartbeat. I can actually forget about the hissing unless I'm in a totally quiet environment. The pulsating is a little bit harder to get used to, but I have gone back to a pretty normal lifestyle again --- and so will you!!

The main thing is (and this is hard!) to try not to stress over the sounds in your head. Given time, I truly believe you'll find that things will get easier.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    20. maccebu
      Sunshine

maccebu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014 6:20AM
      @Raytr I started hearing hzzzz 2 days ago and it made me cry :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014

Hang in there and be strong !Don't stress over it.IT DOES GET BETTER if not going away completely.it hasn't going way for me but I am away better and thanks to the GREAT people in this forum I am still alive .I do not get here as much as I used to bc I stay busy all time and that helps a lot .almost I forget about zzzeeeee noise till I get in bed.

• Like Like x 1
    22. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello, can you please tell me how to fall asleep?. do you take anything, I have problems sleeping , sometimes I do not sleep all night..much appreciated ..good luck with your t ..I have mines about a month now ..it is hard , but I am getting use to it.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raytr
      Wishful

Raytr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I am not taking anything right now.my body just doesn't work well with any drugs.if I take something I am going to get all side effects possible and maybe more.first week didn't sleep and couldn't sleep at all.I started taking melatonin for a few days but what really helped I think was starting working out which I never did before.I guess was a stress release for me and of course a sleeping aid after spending all my energy.it going to get its time till you get used to it.just stay busy as much as you can .I do hear it when I go to bed but it dont get scared anymore.Hope it helps !