New to Tinnitus and Scared

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joe4, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I'm Joe, I'm 17 and had the day off my life at a festival on Sunday! Listened to loud and fantastic music for about 10 hours straight. I left with a loud ringing in my ears and having been used to a ringing in my ears after gigs I knew this was different.

I have already resigned myself to the fact this hissing will not go away yet I am still scared of how I will "manage". I know I will just have to and speaking to a family member who has had it 20+ years it will get easier but I'm struggling to see the tunnel never mind the light at the end of it.

Just some tips on how to make life with tinnitus easier and more bareable would be greatly appreciated. For instance I love the cinema and referee, both expose you to loud noises, how is best to approach these?

I have already found this forum amazing over the last few days and has already helped hence I had no hesitation in joining this excellent community. Any replies will be so helpful and I plan on using this to chart my progress in the battle against T.

Thanks Joe

• Like Like x 1
    2. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline and Quinine HCL
      Also new myself to this. I've had it for 2 weeks straight, I thought I had a reduction but I believe it is due to ginko biloba, since when I skipped a day it went back up to normal.

I find it super scary and the thought of it being permanent scares me to death.

Personally it sounds like you may return to normal in time.

3. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Hey :) I'm also new to this,went to a rave after beign asked over and over again... Wish i said no in the end, either ways that was last Sunday.. It's still with me now.. For the first few days i panicked and stayed up all night just so i wont have to sleep, the good thing is you're 17, still growing, I'm 21, and i hope the ringing will lessen or stop for us :) For now I'm keeping away from earphones and loud sounds, lately what i do i stay up all night playing games at very low volume... And it feels like it's helping because I'm focusing on the game but also getting used to the ringing.. 3 days of doing so and i feel like it's helping :) Soon I've college and i hope it'll be better by then.

4. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Welcome @Joe4 .

That is not necessarily the case. @Bill Bauer wrote the following post discussing studies that show a fairly high recovery rate from tinnitus ( https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/ )

If it does not go away, you will be able to. Look through some of the introductory posts of others who have been here for a while. You will see that pretty much all of them thought the exact same thing. And, all are still here and finding a way not only to cope, but also finding the strength to help others who are struggling. You are much stronger than you think you are. It seems like an impossible task, but you will be surprised how strong you actually are when it comes to dealing with adversity.

There is a light there. It may be your tinnitus clearing up on its own, you learning to habituate, or just finding that one special person who cares enough to try and understand what you are going through and support you when you struggle.

"Light" comes in many forms. You may find this forum to be the "light" you need. As you explore this forum you will see that it is filled with many people who are extremely supportive, sympathetic, caring, and more importantly, who understand what you are going through. And having people like that, who are willing to help you when you are struggling, sad, frightened, or just feel like you can't take it any more, is a truly wonderful thing.

As for advice, the best I can offer you is to stay calm, try not to fixate on it, and remain hopeful. If you have not yet, read the success stories section. Also, search out posts by @Michael Leigh, he has both a lot of knowledge of this subject, and a talent for sharing it in a very clear and understandable way. Here is one to get you started https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/ .

I wish you well and I look forward to updates on your progress.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thank you @Kolisar so much for your calming words and I will read the links you've put right away. It does mean a lot that people are willing to help and provide support to essentially a complete stranger. Already just seeing the time and effort that you have put in has put me in a brighter mood this morning.

6. Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      How did you know that this time tinnitus is different?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Before it's been a dull ringing with sort of a melodic pattern, which has gone after 24hrs or so, this is loud and a constant high pitched hiss. It's as loud as my TV volume to put it into perspective.