New Tone...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ludvik, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      So I'm just a little over 2 months in from onset. I've had so many spikes since it's started, and they don't seem to settle. Just as I start to habituate and begin to feel like a normal human again a new setback occurs - how do I deal with this?

2 new tones just appeared after spending a day out house hunting. Can hear 5 tones now.

Traffic is so loud, I wore earplugs the whole day. I had to walk past a construction site, I blocked my ears but still.

I'd love to be able to habituate, but it's difficult when T is so reactive and changes so much. Would love people's thoughts..

Good news is I landed my dream job.. But nervous I can't perform with all this going on.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      New home and New job...wow..
      The stress must be spiking your tinnitus.
      Do what you can to off load stress and find away to totally relax and relax your mind and body and that should help.
      Have a chat to your doctor if it does not settle...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      So only 2 days after the construction incident.. I had to walk past construction again. It was completely unavoidable, ironically I had an appointment with my custom ear plugs people and the construction was happening right next door. Even inside their office it felt overwhelming. Jackhammering and all that.

I feel completely lost, guys. 2 big exposures and spikes within days of each other. Sleep has been absolutely dreadful, even with xanax. Suicidal thoughts have resurfaced. I'm so, so, so exhausted, and I feel so alone.

@glynis Thanks Glynis.. How do you usually deal with spikes? I guess it's just my body having a reaction to the new level and tones and its a matter of having to get used to it all over again.. I'm considering seeing my doctor but I'm not sure there's much he'd be able to do.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ludvik the post below might be of some help.
      All the best
      Michael

New to tinnitus what to do?

The onset of loud intrusive tinnitus can be very traumatic for most people. I use the words loud and intrusive, because tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities. When it is mild, moderate or occasionally heard in quiet surroundings it is usually not too bothersome and a person can go about their daily affairs quite happily and unperturbed by this anomaly. This type of tinnitus usually comes on gradually and in some cases it’s associated with hearing loss, as we get older and the usual treatment is the wearing of hearing aid/s.

If you are having difficulty sleeping you might have been advised to try a night time sedation or an ant-depressant to help cope with the stress and anxiety that often accompanies tinnitus. These medications can be helpful especially in the early stages and they don’t have to be taken long term, so it’s something to consider. They can act as a safety net so you don’t become too down.

A referral to ENT will usually be recommended. In the mean time try to keep occupied with something you like doing, as it helps to distract the brain from focusing on the tinnitus. Avoiding quiet rooms during the day by playing low level non intrusive music such as classical in the background can be helpful.

At night a sound machine placed by the bedside playing nature sounds or listening to favourite mp3 tracks or Cds are good. Keeping the volume just below the tinnitus is ideal and set to play throughout the night until morning. It takes time to get used to sound therapy so please stay with it. Whilst in a deep sleep it supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time the tinnitus is pushed further into the background helping to make its perception less noticeable during waking hours.

In the early stages of tinnitus, if one chooses not to use sound enrichment sleeping can sometimes be difficult and there’s also the chance of the tinnitus becoming more intrusive as sleeping in a quiet room can allow the brain to increase it’s own background activity. In doing so it will also increase the tinnitus making it more intrusive during waking hours.

There is a tendency for newbies to try and cure their tinnitus which is quite understandable. There are many remedies, treatments and concoctions out there. Some affordable others quite expensive. I am not adverse to trying to help myself but want to say, there are charlatans and con artists eager to relieve someone in distress of their money so please be careful. Even tried and tested treatments I wouldn’t recommend a person try until they have been seen at ENT. Often a person after been seen at ENT is advised to wait a while.

The reason being. Many people habituate to tinnitus within six months sometimes a little longer and it has been known to go away. The ear is a very delicate organ and many Drs prefer to wait before investigating further and then suggesting a treatment. If other problems are experienced such as: pain in the ears, deafness, dizziness or balance problems this is of more concern and a person will usually been seen quicker.

It is best to have a word with your GP if you’re feeling stressed or depressed in any way, as previously mentioned there are treatments available. Leaving things alone until ENT advise you of the next step is the best thing to do in my opinion. Don’t try to fix anything or throw large sums of money at treatments that you have no way of knowing whether you’ll get any relief.

It is not advisable to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume and keep away from loud sounds. By all means go out but anywhere that plays loud music then wear noise reducing earplugs.
      Take things slowly and one day at a time. Read some of the positivity threads and ask other members for advice. Many people eventually habituate to their tinnitus and go on to lead a happy and fulfilling life even though it may take a little time.

• Like Like x 1