New Trial: An fMRI investigation of the Effects of Lidocaine on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by LostOutWest, Dec 11, 2019.

1. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Any idea why this is the case?

2. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      Possibly because there might be different brain wave activities for left vs right handed people. They're just trying to reduce variances as much as possible.

3. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      I'm never getting cured.

Theoretically, if you trained to use your non-dominant hand, then I guess that would also cause changes in the brain and maybe align a left handed person's brain activity more to a right handed person's brain activity.

4. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      The purpose of fMRI study is to understand the effects of lidocaine on the brain, specially how tinnitus signals are altered. It's not a study to cure tinnitus but to try to understand tinnitus better, unfortunately. Probably best to temper your hopes whenever a new study, research, or treatment comes out...

And anyways, lidocaine effects are temporary and probably best not to be on that long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Oh yeah. I know that. I believe any study trying to better understand tinnitus is helpful though.

Yeah I am hopeful that we will see something soon. There is also always the chance it just spontaneously goes away as well. Just have to be patient and wait.

6. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

WillBeNimble Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      The brain waves might be slightly different, but the underlying function should be the same for why lidocaine works. They won't need to tailor make a cure for left handed people. If a cure comes out for chronic tinnitus, you'll benefit as well, without needing to learn how to use your right hand.

• Like Like x 1
    7. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Yeah I believe that makes the most sense. I am also just interested in this kind of stuff and helping out though. Learning to use my right hand could be a distraction from tinnitus as well. Lol

I would want to participate in some clinical trials, but I'm not sure if there is any in Canada unfortunately.