New York Bombing

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jonesste29, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Jonesste29

Jonesste29 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Agree Agree x 7
    2. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      LMAO...dont get me started with how anything is handled in NYC.... unfortunate to hear.. total life changing event

3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I saw that item, with the ringing remarks, in the news. I was thinking of posting it. I hope that the tinnitus will not last, for these victims.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Thank god the only injuries we know of at this point were minor.

Hate that.

• Agree Agree x 7
    5. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I made the mistake of reading comments on an article. One poster was chastising others for making light of the attack when people were injured, and others were replying back that the injuries were no big deal since they were only ear ringing.

Only ear ringing. :cautious: I suspect there’s a chance the victims have hearing loss, too.

• Agree Agree x 5
    6. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      That's awareness for ya, Minor injury ? if they really knew how major it is. I'm surprised they didn't tell them yet deal with it, they will then realize fast how major it is. But I will say the news said ringing in the ear, kiddos for that, I wonder if they said Tinnitius how many people know that word.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Too early to tell...they still have a chance of it going away...will find out tomorrow and by that point it will never be heard of because the media will find somthing dumb to talk about

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I am hoping that there's a good chance they'll be OK. If nobody was otherwise seriously injured by the blast, not even the SOB that was wearing the explosives, maybe the noise wasn't loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss or long-term tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jonesste29

Jonesste29 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Chances are that the tinnitus for these victims is temporary that's why it's considered only a minor injury. Even if it turns out to be permanent, it may be mild enough to be bearable. For most people exposed to loud noises, that's the case anyway.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jonesste29

Jonesste29 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Someone else arguing with CBS on twitter for calling ‘ringing of the ears’ , a minor element

Attached Files:

12. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I hope the ringing is temporary for the victims

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I thought it was not worth starting a new thread, so I put this article in this thread since it is related.

Otologic Outcomes After Blast Injury: The Brussels Bombing Experience
      Van Haesendonck, Gilles*,†; Van Rompaey, Vincent*,†; Gilles, Annick*,†; Topsakal, Vedat*,†; Van de Heyning, Paul*,†
      Otology & Neurotology: September 24, 2018 - Volume Publish Ahead of Print - Issue - p
      doi: 10.1097/MAO.0000000000002012

Objective: After the suicide bombings in Brussels on March 22, 2016, many victims consulted our emergency department with otologic symptoms. The aim of this study was to report the otologic morbidity and outcome after acute acoustic trauma in these patients.

Study Design: Prospective cohort study.

Setting: Tertiary referral center.

Patients: Patients reporting subjective hearing loss, tinnitus, feeling of pressure in the ear, vertigo or hyperacusis after witnessing these bombings were included.

Intervention: All included patients were treated with systemic corticosteroid therapy, concurrent hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) was advised to each and every included patient.

Main Outcome Measures: Participants underwent a routine otologic work-up including otoscopy, liminal audiometry, and subjective outcome measures related to tinnitus at baseline and at follow-up. Primary outcome was to describe the otologic morbidity after acute acoustic trauma (AAT). Secondary outcome was to evaluate the recovery of hearing loss, subjective symptoms, and tympanic membrane perforations.

Results: Fifty-six patients were included in our population with an average age of 27 ± 13 years, and 46% women/54% men. Thirty-two patients reported subjective hearing loss, 45 reported tinnitus, 45 reported a feeling of pressure in the ear, 2 patients experienced vertigo, and 18 patients reported hyperacusis. Otoscopic examination revealed three tympanic membrane perforation (TMP). Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) was observed in 41% (n = 23) and mixed hearing loss in 3.6% (n = 2). No conductive hearing loss (CHL) was observed. Follow-up was obtained in 76.8%, with the last follow-up available at 47 ± 74 days. Two perforations closed spontaneously, while one persistent perforation was successfully reconstructed with complete air-bone gap closure. There was a significant improvement in subjective symptoms. SNHL improvement was observed in 52.6% (10/19), mixed hearing loss improved in both patients. Improvement in hearing thresholds was seen in patients treated with steroids and in those treated with steroids and HBOT, there was no significant difference in the degree of improvement between these two groups.

Conclusions: Blast-related otologic injuries have a significant impact on morbidity. Comprehensive otologic evaluation and state-of-the-art treatment may lead to a significant improvement in symptoms and hearing loss.

Copyright © 2018 by Otology & Neurotology, Inc. Image copyright © 2010 Wolters Kluwer Health/Anatomical Chart Company

Source: https://journals.lww.com/otology-ne..._Outcomes_After_Blast_Injury___The.96618.aspx

I thought it was interesting because tinnitus, systemic corticosteroid therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) are mentionned. It is a pitty that we don't know the recover of tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2