New York Post Article on Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by lymebite, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      What do you mean by "a 50 db air bone gap"?

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It means the difference between the air conduction and bone conduction was 50 dB. That typically means that your middle ear (and sometimes the ear drum) is responsible for that loss. The consequence being that it is sometimes fixable.

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Ahh ok, thanks, I understand it now. Another question.. I have started to do some exercises for my jaw. One of them consist on putting the tip of the tongue on the upper part of the palate and then opening the jaw. Well, when I get ear pressure my eardrum pops loud when I do this exercise. I am not sure if it could be a middle ear issue.. how did you notice your h was due to a middle ear problem? Was it popping or crackling sounds that led you to think it was a middle ear issue?

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No, it's because my surgery got rid of most of my H, and that surgery addressed the middle ear.
      The exercise you are doing sounds like what we do for TMJ. It's quite possible that it affects the middle ear: everything is connected there and you are moving a lot of "piping" around when you do that exercise.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Thanks for you quick answer! I am considering going through a couple of tests, CAT scan and maybe even MRI, because things are going worse lately, noticing a lot of pressure that does not go away in months, hearing worsening (the dip at 8.000 must be around 60 dbs by now), and loud sounds feeling more hurtful than ever. I checked my jaw recently and the doctor said it was ok, not the cause of this. My H is most probably due to exposure to loud noise, but things are going worse very fast, and this time things feel different from what I have been experiencing for so many years.