NHS

Discussion in 'Support' started by bper12, Nov 12, 2014.

1. bper12

bper12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi
      8 Months into bilateral Tinnitus, first 3-4 months absolute despair, coping reasonably well now, I would say level from high moderate to moderate, able to sleep with the help of Mirtazapine and sound generator.
      I would like to say that I have had a lot of help from the Tinnitus clinic at my local NHS hospital, I have just been fitted with 2 noise generators that I am using for Tinnitus Retaining Therapy. The units are a duel purpose hearing aid device that can be used as a noise generator or/and hearing aid, mine are set up for noise generator only. The units are Siemens NHS Octiv M+, nice units, fit behind the ear with a clear tube fitting to the ear buds that are open for hearing external sounds. Only had these for 3 days and I think this is helping me cope. The units have a volume control so that you can set the volume of the quite nice hiss, this volume has to be set just below your Tinnitus level, it did take me 2 visits to the clinic to have this volume set correctly for my Tinnitus.
      Well done to the NHS who have given me some hope of coming to terms with this condition.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. aylp
      Depressed

aylp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      @bper12

I am glad that NHS was helpful in your case. It has been a short while since I moved to the UK and cannot really find help. Which NHS hospital is that?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bper12

bper12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi
      answer to aylp.
      The journey that I took was first go to your local GP, (they are OK for any meds you require to help), ask the GP to refer yourself to ENT department at your local hospital, they will run checks for anything that is causing your T, when they find nothing wrong ask to be referred to a Tinnitus clinic. The Tinnitus clinic will be part of the audiology department in the hospital or at one near by, you will then see a hearing therapist at the clinic who will have some experience of dealing with the problem.
      Every one you see on this journey will be sympathetic to your problem and will offer their advice.
      Regards.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. aylp
      Depressed

aylp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014