Hearing Aid Options for Tinnitus from the NHS (UK)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nesty, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Nesty
      No Mood

Nesty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Illness as child Rubella, sadly got worse over the decades
      Hi all.

I am based in the UK, looking for some advice.

In the last few months my tinnitus has gotten worse. It feels like that my brain has cranked up my auditory hearing senses to try and hear, thus raising my tinnitus. Can the brain do this?

I last had a hearing test in 2011. They identified some light hearing loss, but audiologist said hearing aids wouldn't be beneficial. However, I now notice I am struggling in pubs hearing what people are saying and when watching TV, I have to pay real close attention to dialogue. I do now think I require hearing aids, as my hearing has depleted since 2011.

I would look to obtain these on the UK NHS. Has anyone on here had good success with hearing aids and what options are there, as I assume technology has moved on a bit nowadays?

Thanks!

2. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I think the brain can do this, and maybe that’s why some people experience the volume lowering as they relax and accept their tinnitus.

If you have had an MRI recently which has caused a spike in both your ears, then I would try get my hands on some prednisone ASAP. In the UK they will be easier to obtain if you say you have suffered some hearing loss. Failing that, high dose NAC would be good.

Again, sorry if this is completely irrelevant for you & it was not your post.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nesty
      No Mood

Nesty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, many thanks for you reply.

OK regarding NAC, I have never heard of that before, though at the moment I am on about 8 supplements a day!

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Nesty,

Speak to your GP who will probably refer you to an ENT and then on to Audiology to see an audiologist for fitting of hearing aids if required. You shouldn't have any problems.

Three weeks ago I was fitted with new Oticon white noise generators. They are known as hearing aids but because I don't have sufficient hearing loss to warrant the use of hearing aids, my audiologist disabled them via computer.

My Oticon devices are fitted with white and pink noise and also sounds of the sea. They are Bluetoothed to my phone.

Best of luck,
      Michael

5. SonOfUhtred
      Confused

SonOfUhtred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud lifestyle
      I found the NHS very good for hearing aids. And whilst my audiologist, who was trying to sell me some at a high price, said it would take forever to obtain on the NHS, I had them within a month. Just push for them.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nesty
      No Mood

Nesty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael Leigh & Son of Uhtred.

Many thanks for the replies. OK, I'll speak with my GP, hopefully referral where I am will be fairly quick, though our NHS Trust is under a lot of strain.

I have just gone out for a walk where I live (lucky to have some decent countryside fields), though no doubt my auditory pathways are cranked up, it's like I am noticing every bird noise and every other noise, which I normally would not notice.

My goal with the hearing aids is that they will restore certain natural frequencies and my brain will go ok, got what I need and I'll relax the gain now; probably doesn't work like that! :unsure:

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Nesty,

You need to be properly examined and assessed and I believe you will get this under the care of the NHS. It might take some time but it'll be worth it, rather than going private and see someone that might only be interested in you making a purchase, which is something you don't want.

The best help and long term aftercare for tinnitus and your hearing will be under the NHS that no private practice can match in the UK, that I assure you. I have been a tinnitus out-patient at my hospital for 26 years and very pleased with the treatment I have received.

Tell your GP about your concerns about hearing and my advice is not to steam in demanding anything. This is the wrong approach and is likely to rub the GP up the wrong way. Be humble and you will be get much further.

Take care,
      Michael

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nesty
      No Mood

Nesty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael.

Many thanks. This is something I have been meaning to do for sometime now, probably been a vanity thing why delayed, but this new noise is the final straw, I certainly require something now to help me hear and feel like I am very much straining to do so.

I have been through the local NHS ENT ages ago (probably 20 years ago), though then they diagnosed hearing loss, but said hearing aids probably wouldn't be beneficial then, but maybe if the hearing got worse in the future they would be.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I can understand how you felt back then @Nesty but now you require more help. The first step is talk to your GP about your concerns and you are now asking for help. That is all you have to say. The ball is now in your doctor's court who will refer you to ENT. They will run tests and probably refer you to Audiology for hearing aids and treatment to help manage your tinnitus.

As I have said, be humble and polite and demand or push for nothing, just let the doctor decide and I believe you will get the help that you need.

Michael

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nesty
      No Mood

Nesty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many thanks.

I have to say I never thought after getting diagnosed 2 decades ago I'd be in this situation. I always avoided sound loud noise, never did clubs nor wore headphones. I respected my tinnitus.

However, the one thing I was not well versed on was prescription medication, as never had much of it over the years and that has bought me a big tinnitus downfall since 2019, things never were the same afterwards.

Now I require those hearing aids, I'll politely ask the GP and hopefully get referred promptly.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Although medication can make tinnitus worse for some people, unless you know this for sure, it's best to keep an open mind. Wait until you have had all the necessary tests at ENT, then your consultant will give you the diagnoses about what has caused your hearing loss. If you require hearing aids they will be issued. If your tinnitus is caused by an underlying medical condition you will be advised of this too.

Treating both conditions may also require being referred to Audiology which the ENT will do, so try to relax and don't worry. Don't take any medications unless advised by your doctor.

Take care,
      Michael

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nesty
      No Mood

Nesty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael, many thanks.

I'll let you know how I get on, I plan to speak to the GP later this week.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1