Night-time singing, anyone had this happen to them?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cher69, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      OK guys something totally weird happened last night - and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this !

I either have little or no sleep on bad days or I get a decent night with a few breaks in sleep but I drift off again after a little while - I often find I need to change my masking noise in the night to try and find something a little different to soothe the buzzing tone thing I get ( that always feel so much louder in the night !) Last night I found my favourite masking noise a 'fan' really irrating me at 3 am ish while trying to drift off again - and I am 100% convinced I could then hear singing and music !

I sat up and looked at my phone and wondered if it had tuned into a radio station - it hadnt and the music singing stopped - I lay down again phone playing masking noise fan and water fall now and I could hear the singing again ! It really was a soft tune and someone faintly singing faintly in my ears - is my mind playing tricks on me !?

Bit freaky or is it my head playing tricks after a few sleep issues recently and then managing to get some sleep - any ideas anyone ?

Thanks T-family - Cherx

2. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      Cher, I don't suffer from T, but I think I know what you're talking about. It rarely happens to me too, and I guess it does happen to many others too. It usually happens to me when the source of sound is very light, like something that's coming from a very high distance but very light music. It sometimes sounds like someone's singing too, but it's false. And the words aren't clear, it's very gibberish and absurd, but it just sounds like someone's singing. If the same thing happened to you, then I think I can confirm that what happened to you is nothing scary. :joyful: However, if you heard clear lyrics of a song or something like that, well, I'm not sure I know what happened. :eek: Or hey, maybe your neighbors played music a little loud(at 3am?...).... Anyway, see if that happens again. When it's totally silent, turn on your masking noise again and verify. I hope it's nothing serious! Take care. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

3. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

This might sound far fetched for someone who only recently got T but you will reach a point where you don't care about masking, or what noise it makes today, or how loud it is. You will sleep just fine.

Audiobooks helped me a lot, since you pay attention to what is being said and not the noise around it, I could doze off nicely.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Well no more singing last night and I slept ok so maybe its just brain confusing the sounds but gosh it was a freaky experience !

5. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I sometimes get what sounds like monks chanting. Only happens at night with my head on the pillow. At first I lifted my head up to hear if it was coming from outside or nextdoor but it wasn't. It's only happened about 3 times so far. The first time I felt anxious but it is actually quite a nice sound for a change. I think it's just the auditory system going a bit more crazy somehow linked to the tinnitus. Some people have "musical tinnitus" where they constantly hear a song. The thing is we hear with our brain. Our ears act like a mic to pick up sounds but we actually process sounds and "hear" with our brain. That's why it's not that crazy to hear music. So many memories of sounds stored up in our brain. I wouldn't like to suffer with musical tinnitus permanently, especially if it was that annoying song which goes "I know a song that will get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves", or even worse "the birdie song."