Nitrous Oxide / Laughing Gas. Safe with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, Jul 28, 2017.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Is it safe to take nitrous oxide / laughing gas with tinnitus?

Used to do it before tinnitus on occasions just very fun but can give audio hallucinations and make you feel light headed and dizzy.

Apart from the balloon bursting (I'll wear muffs), will actually taking it affect my tinnitus?

Just here to find out if anyone was had experience with it and if it will make my already severe tinnitus worse.

The plan was to go for a few drinks then have a few balloons of it after for the good feels.

2. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      nobody here is going to advocate that you do whippets dude. myself included. lol

From a purely scientific perspective - it's unlikely they'll do much harm in regards to your tinnitus. That said - nitrous is known to deplete B12 levels, which is bad for the myelin sheath of your nerves. Low b12 is associated with tinnitus, potentially for this reason.

It takes many months of abusing nitrous before this happens, so like with all drugs, if you're reasonable you'll likely be fine. YMMV.

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Weren't you just panicking about a room of people clapping? And didn't you recently ask if you should get prednisone because a balloon popped near you while you were wearing foam earplugs? Are you still taking prednisone?

And now you're considering doing something with balloons and something that could cause auditory hallucinations? :cautious:

Sorry, but you're making me slip into parent mode.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      still on prednisolone

and yes, considering it with muffs and earplugs but will most likely avoid.

just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it.

5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Ryan, nitrous oxide and tinnitus is no laughing matter.

• Funny Funny x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Good pun but are you serious?

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I wouldn't mix steroids with nitrous oxide. I was even told not to have alcohol while taking steroids.

If you felt clapping was such a severe acoustic trauma that you needed steroids, maybe give the steroids a chance to work before doing anything that might cause auditory hallucinations.

But if you do and your tinnitus gets worse, don't come crying to us . . . Naw, I'm just kidding, actually do if you need support because that's what we're here for. Honestly, I don't think it would cause a permanent spike.

Warned you that I was in parent mode. ;)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      just went for a few drinks nothing more. plugs fully inserted!

• Like Like x 1
    9. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I can't say. It's barely worth the effort, though. I went through many boxes of those metal whipping cartridges, long ago. I remember those weird auditory reverberations. It's pretty short acting. There's a reason they call it hippie crack.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    11. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I have no idea but god damn whippets were fun back in the day. Horrible for your nervous system but still fun af on occasion.

If you do end up doing them, try to keep it to a minimum and have some B12 (specifically in the form of methylcobalamin lozenges - the other stuff they try to sell in supplements won't get absorbed) on hand since that's the biggest thing nitrous oxide messes with.

If you're just recovering from acoustic trauma or a spike and you're using prednisone to recover, definitely don't do it in the next month at least. I don't know what event others are referring to in the thread but always give your ears every opportunity to recover before experimenting with other stuff. I'm all for having a good time but don't rush yourself or give into peer pressure either.

12. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      ClinicalTrials.gov Nitrous Oxide treatment for Tinnitus ClinicalTrials.gov
      gov Identifier NCT03365011
      Last update posted Dec 14 2018

But I can't seem to find and look at the results ?
      perhaps someone a little more computer savvy could help ?

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      If anyone can find more positive info we could perhaps shift this to Alternative treatments and Research forum?

14. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Darn...just found the results myself
      No go...nada...doesn't harm but doesn't work either
      Ah well lol

15. Tommo5

Tommo5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earbuds, hearing loss in right ear, noise induced
      I wouldn’t never mess with nitrous oxide ever. Noticed my tinnitus one night after messing around with this stuff. I mean I didn’t even do them that often, barely did them compared to what others do. My tinnitus was caused from heaps of things though. But I am a tiny tiny bit deaf in my right ear yet I hear it in my left a lot.

16. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
    17. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Is there any difference from what dentist use? Did your T go back to baseline after?

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The first two links haven't been archived by archive.org. The third link got archived, but it is probably not relevant, as it is about the experience of some junkie.
      https://web.archive.org/web/20191018022620/https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=49717

You might want to browse through
      https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&q=+"nitrous+oxide"+tinnitus&btnG=

I see that there had been two studies investigating this gas as a treatment for tinnitus. See whether you can find any case studies where someone got tinnitus as a result of having such a procedure.

• Like Like x 1