No Ear Pain from Noise, Just Pressure in Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by East, Jan 16, 2020.

1. East
      Pensive

East Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hello everyone. So I've been experiencing strange ear problems for almost 3 months now. Thankfully the burning feeling stopped a few weeks ago, but now I'm left with a slight pressure/tight feeling in my ear. It seems to be relieved by equalizing pressure (valsalva, or opening mouth wide) but it only lasts for like 5-10 seconds. I don't get pain from loud noises, but I keep reading ear fullness is a symptom of hyperacusis. It's not really painful, just very annoying.

At times my ear feels completely normal with no symptoms. Is this a good sign? Do people with pain hyperacusis ever feel completely normal for any period of time?

2. Badger19

Badger19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You probably have Tonic tensor tympani syndrome. You can google it.

Give your ears some well deserved rest.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      East
      Pensive

East Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      That's what I was researching all day yesterday, I was confused if it was possible to have it without having hyperacusis ?? I check out pretty much all the symptoms.

4. Badger19

Badger19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is a form of hyperacusis.

5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have the same thing.. I don't really have hyperacusis anymore but my ears feel "tight" when exposed to certain sounds. And also when not exposed to these sounds.

I sometimes have mild ear pain, comes and goes for a few seconds throughout the day. Also unrelated to noise.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      East
      Pensive

East Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      How long has it been going on for you?? Does it affect your day to day life ?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      East
      Pensive

East Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      My symptoms pretty much completely disappear when I go swimming at my apartment's pool.

I wonder if it's from the low noise levels (nobody is usually there) or me taking my mind off of shit.. Or maybe the cold water soothes my tight muscles.. :dunno:

8. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Could be one of those, a combination of those or something else entirely. Who knows? :dunno:

9. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had that tightness feeling. Is that hyperacusis?

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      The one poster called it 'Tonic tensor tympani syndrome.' Check the symptoms and see if it applies to you?

I have chronic ear pain and I don't think it's hyperacusis or noxacusis because I can have a sudden onset of increased ear pain without a noticeable loud noise. I don't know if it's muscle or nerve related but the pain can be severe.

I had or have hyperacusis though but it's not as bad as before. So the people who said hyperacusis improves are correct in my case. What does that mean? Something connected to the ear healed a bit or what? I still get pain from noise but it's not as frequent. My ear pain is 90% something else (10% from a noise). Although, I am in a loud location where I live but I think the pain is mostly muscle or nerve related.

If you can minimize loud noise exposure, it is likely a waiting game until your ear(s) fullness and pain subsides and improves. I think my case is an extreme one. Although, I don't know by name, the people here who have chronic ear pain. It's awful to have plus severe tinnitus.

11. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is an awful thing to have... I can’t believe such a condition exists.
      My ears have been terrible all day and I was in a car yesterday for 3 hours and came home - the pressure was sooooo intense. And then they have just been blaring all day.
      A couple people told me cars are a trigger.

Like this is the worst thing ever. I mean EVER. I would not wish this on anyone.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Worse than ALS?

13. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      NO and I’ve actually compared this to ALS and said “at least it’s not ALS...”

That's unfortunately what I have to do to keep myself somewhat sane.

14. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      I said exactly this when I got this condition too. This should be breaking news every day. Warning people this can happen to anyone. Last thing people worry about is their ears. Now we know what it is like. How important and fragile our ears are.

• Agree Agree x 4