No Shelter Dogs Here...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LadyDi, Aug 15, 2014.

1. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Love animals? Please share this like with your friends, family, everyone.
      http://www.tailsinc.com/2014/08/we-cant-find-any-shelter-dogs/

So many people think all dogs and cats end up in shelters because they bit someone, ripped up the furniture, peed on the carpet, etc. Not true. Often they have lost their homes because: their owners went into foreclosure and had to move to a no-pet apartment, could not or did not want to pay the expenses of owning a pet, got bored with caring for a pet, died or had to go into a nursing home.

Right now, I am "sponsoring" Sapphire. She lives in a shelter while I try to convince my husband that yes, the cats will tolerate a dog. She's a 7-year-old lab mix and has been in this shelter for a year. Her owners had taken her to the vet for boarding while they went on vacation and never came back for her. They later phoned the vet and said they couldn't afford the boarding bill (but somehow could afford a vacation ). I go and see her on my lunch hour, give her treats, pay for her vet care, take her out on weekends. She is such a sweet girl, a little scared but she is warming up to me. Here is a photo the shelter took of her, isn't she cute?

SAPPHIRE.JPG

Anyway, I stumbled across the above link today. It's so true. Please share, as I said. And if you want a four-legged BFF, please consider the adoption option.

And I would love to hear about animals YOU have adopted! Or about your pets in general.
      Hugs.

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Like Like x 3
    2. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I have a a sweet little dog that I rescued. We love her! The upside for us in getting an older dog as opposed to a puppy is that she had all the "puppy stage" out of her. We were also lucky that she has such a great personality and fits perfectly in with our family.

• Hug Hug x 3
    3. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      How could anyone go and leave her,just look at her,humans disgust me at times ,they really do.
      What a smashing person you are,sponsoring her,as you said that couple found the cash for a holiday,reckon they had no plans to go back for her.You see her and take her out ,she has contact outside the shelter.
      We lost our last Cocker spaniel not that long ago,we never took holidays whilst we had ours.
      We support monthly,a dog that enables people disabled to stay in there homes,also a rescue centre for horses and ponies ,began that in memory of our 3 cockers spaniels.
      Were both getting on now to start taking care of pets,but able to give to help other animals,what's a few £ 's a month nothing ,sad they ask for nothing but they give so much.
      Your a STAR. XXX

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      You are a star, too @Marlene! How kind that you support a service dog, plus a horse rescue center. You are being a true friend to animals. As I said, I would love to taking Sapphire home -- but in the meantime, I can show her some kindness, get her outdoors in the grass and fresh air. I think many people don't realize that even if they can't have a pet at home -- and many can't, for good reasons, and pets are a big responsibility -- they still can be an animal friend.

Bless u for caring.

5. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      My husband was disgusted at that pair,I love her bandana,My Morgan had a Union Jack one ,Our Dylan wouldn't wear his.i think it's super when rescue 's get a lovely new home.My 2 are on a thread set off by Cher,and my Katie we've only got on photo paper.All 3 pictures are up on my lounge wall,there family.
      Has the shelter got a lot of dogs?the largest one in UK is Batersea dogs home in London.they do TV series on Batersea,they are so cared for,they solely rely on the general public for donations.people run in the London marathon in aid of these dogs.short little lives so they deserve the best.
      My daughter has 2 cocker spaniels ,I put them up on thread ,being Nosey,looking out of the window,my weekend visitors.Your Aunty then ,that's best news to start of my weekend Di

6. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I love dogs. When I retire, that will be my first purchase.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Super User,the joy you get from them is immeasurable,no greater friend to man.hold no grudges,love you more than you can ever imagine.,but if you've had one in the past. This you will already know.
      If we were in our 40 or 50's we'd get another like a shot,now we settle for Henry and Katie daughters 2 Cockers,so next best thing User.How long before you retire ?what dog you got an eye on or not bothered?
      Expect a pic when you get one.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Me, too! I had Labradors before but then was working too much to give a dog a good life. But now... my husband is retiring at the end of the month. Would insist on a dog but we do have two cats and a small house. Our little Frances Jeanne, rescued during the Florida 2004 storm season, is 10 ys old and remains skittish due to her terrible early experiences. Is it fair to throw a dog into the household at her age?

And you obviously should get whatever dog works for you, @UserID. But you might consider the adoption option? Many dogs, from puppies to seniors, are desperate for a good home.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Labs are lovely,my dr has one.ah you saved your cat,when you see these disasters hubby and I wonder about these animals,you got one ,there must be lots that got lost,yes I could see how skittish she would be look how disasters affects humans and they know to a certain degree what's going on around them.
      Maybe Di when you retire and at home full time be a better move to get dog full time.i only worked part time at the local police station,so I was at home best part of the day so our boys weren't on there own long ,but they were good company for each other like brothers who got on,always had to be in sight of each other house or garden.
      My daughters 2 cocker spaniels to have to be in sight of each other,weird hey,wonder if cats the same ?
      My husband says cats are loners by nature,but I'm not so sure could be wrong.
      Expect your husband got his plans for retirement,mines been retired 4 years now,loves it,no more alarm clock.
      Maybe User will go for adopting one,plenty out there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I have another three months, Marlene, before I can leave the hospital after thirty years of service. But, I work alongside my identical twin brother who got a later start on a career than I, and he's been pleading with me to stick it out at least one more year. I tell him that I'm barely able to get out of bed as it is. Maybe I'll split the difference with him and last only another six months. There's so much work, including a new building just officially put on line, and there is a great demand on our part to see that devices are installed and working well.

Because I live in Florida, I don't like to watch dogs suffer in this heat and humidity just because they are especially beautiful and have long hair. I like what a friend has, a Bichon Chiffon, and have looked for one, but there's no telling what I'll bring home. Smitten by a little chihuhua I saw at an outdoor craft show, I thought I might be able to get him, but my delay caused them delay, so they sold him.
      David

• Like Like x 2
    11. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Rescue dogs rock! I have a beautiful Lab/ Shepard mix named Murphy. We love him! I've had him since he was about 7 months old. He was found, abandoned, eating garbage. Despite his hardships, he is the most loyal and loving dog ever. And I have a rescue cat named Ashley, who is equally wonderful in every way as Murphy! Here are their pics, but I need to update with better ones!

IMG_4182.jpg IMG_4189.jpg

@LadyDi Sapphire is a beautiful pooch! I hope she gets a good home soon, either with you or another loving person. Maybe the shelter would give you a month trial period?

Regardless, you're very special for being a sponsor.:)

Love everyone here who's taken in a rescue dog or cat! :puppykisses::cat:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I grew up with two rescued cats. They were left for dead as infants in a barn, one of them nearly died. But they were nursed back to health and lived long and happy lives (17 and 18 years old when they died).

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hiya User ,my you are a busy bee in your job,can see why you'd want retirement splitting that year would be good idea,planning it out is going to be the headache.Wish you luck on that one,but never say never.you do get tired older you get,no doubt to that.My husband worked all his life ,now he enjoys his days doing what he wants,were comfortably off,so enjoy what years we have left.No pockets in a shroud is his favourite saying .
      When you retire your see that one special dog your know it's for you,it's a look that dog gives you then he or she's hooked you.Its yours from that day on.they give you something to get up every day for.
      Bichons are lovely looking dogs,see few around here,Miniature Schnauzers another lovely looking dog ,neighbour has 2 boy and a girl,next door has a Scottie dog.Robbie ,shame you saw that one at that time,and job commitment put paid to that,but maybe not for you then,how it goes.
      Keep me up on when you do get one User,love to hear Hey I've got one.
      All the very best Marlene ( Mar)

14. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Oh Jazz I could eat them but in a nice way,lovely pics ,and another 2 rescues that's so great poor Murphy sad life at the start,heart breaking knowing he scavenged for food,when I see the lives my 3 had ,and seeing how my daughters 2 have now,I'm lost how there are people who don't give a damn about them,we will never understand there mentality,as animal lovers ,I get angry at the cruelty out there.
      Your one of the good uns along with Di and all the others out there. Sponsoring we can all do,as Di said doesn't cost a fortune,but it goes to helping animals in crisis.
      Happy family hey glad alls good in your household X

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Oh, I love your photos @jazz, thanks so much for posting them. Murphy and Ashley have a wonderful forever home thanks to your family. I really appreciate the stories from you all about animals that have touched your spirit; these creatures' lives are no less valuable than our own but they depend on us to speak and stand up for them, as they cannot. I have seen so many sad things here in South Florida. We tend to have a transient population and people seem to think their pets are like furniture that they can just leave behind, or put out on the curb, when they go onto their next job. Most of our hurricane shelters do not allow pets (although there are two shelters where you can go, as we do) and people don't make emergency plans that include their animals. Staff at the local humane societies and shelters find dogs tied to their fences, cats in their carriers, left there as the storms come in.

My little Frances Jeanne was only five months old when when her family put her outside to fend for herself as they evacuated in front of Hurricane Frances in 2004. She crawled under my co-workers house; they could hear her crying over the wind noise. She survived and my co-worker rescued her but couldnt keep her, so she came to live with us.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Yet another sad beginningDi,how can you dump an animal,people want flogging for there actions,I'd be 1st in line to inflick such pain ,and that's not my nature,but I'd make the exception towards that low life
      Lucky your friend heard her,scared as any human would have been,but all ended well,had a good life,how it was intended.
      We don't see a lot of what you described where you live,thank The Lord,even our people living on the streets look after there dogs,as they say there the only family they have out on the streets ,think when I lived in London there dogs had blanket ,food and water,so it goes to show street people love there dogs.
      I'm with User saying about having dogs out in heat where he lives,and there long furry coats yes that's another hate of mine,why do people feel a dog needs to go walking in such heat,want a walk go on your own minus the dog,not a good dog owner ,best of it there saying I love my dog,Yea looks it to.Enough of my ranting Di xx

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @LadyDi Such a sad story, but, thankfully with a happy ending. When natural disasters strike, I always think about the animals--companion pets, farm animals, and wild life. Statewide and locally, animal disaster organizations exist, though I imagine they are woefully underfunded. Training for many animal disaster groups is provided by the American Human Association. I'm going to contact my own local human society and see what they offer for disaster relief.

Your story really got me thinking about animal rescue--disaster and general rescue.... Thanks!:cat:

And, if anyone is interested, the amazon smile program donates .5% of the price of your purchases to a charity you select. Participation in the program costs you nothing. I've been a member of this program for several months, but I noticed yesterday that my local humane society also participates in the program. So I switched to my local society; I had been donating to a national organization. Local human societies provide so many services for free or a nominal cost. They truly need all we can contribute: whether it be time, sponsorship, supplies, or funds.

@Marlene I agree that seeing animal abuse and neglect makes you angry. But all we can do is insure our animal welfare laws are enforced; and, of course, do what we can for animals in need. Unfortunately, some people don't see animals as part of God's creation--deserving of our love and protection.

@lapidus From your avatar, I see you're a cat lover too! Those rescue cats must've been sweet! I'm glad your family nursed those kitties back to health. Such kindness is what makes the world a better place.

@UserID I hope you consider a shelter dog! And, personally, I prefer an adult dog to a puppy. Adult dogs are potty trained and less likely to chew things in your house! Whatever you decide, be sure to post a picture of your pooch on the board.

@Teri I agree about the benefits of an adult dog! I'm so glad you also took in a rescue.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 4
    19. 65vwbus
      Dreaming

65vwbus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I love animals, I don't know how people can abandon and mistreat them. This is Lily, I adopted her last year, at 11 weeks old. By that time she had already been in 3 different homes, poor little thing.
      2 months later I became seriously ill in extreme chronic neuropathic pain after bumping my head, and at times she has been the only thing to keep me going. She knows when I'm extra sad, every time she will jump on my lap for a cuddle, and has been more supportive than any friend.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Such a sweet story, @65vwbus, thanks for sharing. You are a super person to adopt. I sometimes think (I know, just me projecting, but I do think...) they somehow understand we have given them a second chance and they love us all that much more. She looks a little like my Dolan, best cat ever. I adopted him at 3 yrs old. He was only a couple days from being euthanized at the shelter, because he had been there for a month. His owner had gone into a nursing home and no one in the family could take his cat. A sweeter, lovely kitty there never was. I was so sad when he crossed the rainbow bridge at 15, but we had his love for many years.

• Like Like x 4
    21. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My niece, Meredith is such a dog lover that she owns two and does volunteer work at a shelter for homeless dogs. Anyway, She just sent this to me today and I wanted to share it with you. There's background music that is nice but much too loud. So, I just want to give you a heads-up to be ready to lower your volume. I don't want it to cause a T spike for anyone!...:)

http://flipagram.com/f/IYNdqPdovJ

I told her that I'll pay for the braces for the one with the lower jaw overbite....:D

• Like Like x 2
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      LOLing about the braces. Yes some serious underbites there...

Thanks for sharing, @jimH. I loved the video. Your niece is a true animal friend. She devotes so much time and care to those that have no voice, as she says, but require and need our support. Tell her I appreciate what she does to make our world, and all creatures that live in it, a better place.

So glad I started this thread. Blessings to all of you who have opened your home and hearts to animals that need a forever home. I love reading all of your stories and seeing your photos.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Thanks for the lovely video, JimH! (I watched it without the sound, and it still touched my heart very much). There are so many wonderful animals out there that need love and care, and your niece is certainly doing her part as an animal lover and volunteer. Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

My husband and I are currently providing a foster home for a sweet black-and-tan coonhound 2-year-old male. I've learned so much about this breed of dog since we took him in, and our lives have been enriched from this experience. Another benefit is that caring for and loving an animal is a calming experience, and when you provide care to an animal, it distracts you from your other cares and concerns.

Lady Di -- so glad you started this thread! I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences with their pets.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      @Karen, a good friend of mine adopted a coonhound. Hugs for you and your husband for being a foster family for animals ... so needed. If our home was larger and we didn't have two (rescue) cats, we would try it.

PS Would love to see a photo of your foster. My friend's dog has some Bassett hound thrown into his coon mix. He is an interesting looking pup. He was horribly abused as a puppy and was very wary/barking/growling towards most people in the beginning, but has grown into a unique and wonderful dog. They have had him for 10 years now.

25. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh,..so that's called an "underbite." Gee, ..I've been on the planet long enough that I should have known that by now...:)

Btw, she found a very good home for that dog with one of her friends.

Anyway, I'm really glad that you ladies enjoyed the video! There's definitely a place in heaven for her and you big hearted gals!

• Like Like x 2
    26. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I love your '65 VW Bus. I was VW crazy for twenty years and went through a few of them prior to finally settling for a car with A/C, and it was a Super Beetle which I purchased to satisfy my girlfriend at the time who hated the heat -- as even I would admit to. With older Bugs, I was always working on them due to one problem or another. Once, I dropped my motor in the driveway of this deed restricted housing development, and, despite the lack of support for car repairs that go beyond the usual maintenance, I thought I could rush the rebuild before the association sent me a letter after I dropped the motor, took it apart and had it in pieces on tables in my front yard. I own an attached home, so I have no back yard.

Then, out the blue, Disney World called us promising us five nights a week work playing music, so I had no other choice but to put all the parts into the car and have it towed to a VW shop. Having no A/C in this state is like asking to suffer. I think my VW phase is long past. It gets so hot here you feel like the humidity is about to drain you of every ounce of moisture in your body and the sun burn you to a crisp.

Every year, there is a what is called "the Bug Jam" in Polk County on a large vacanat lot. Guys from all over sell parts and show off their masterpieces. The last time I went, I saw a Bug with a suana and stereo sound that was something from out of the movies. Real sharp and, as I saw it, the winner hands down.
      David

• Like Like x 3
    27. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @LadyDi ,

Here is a photo of our foster dog, Dudley. He is a coonhound mix:

Dudley Photos 006.JPG

Like your friend's dog, Dudley is wary of people, probably because of being abused in the past. However, he doesn't growl or bark at them, he just pulls away and tries to hide from strangers. We're working on socializing him now; that's a picture of him at a dog park. (We have a great dog park near us, with a bridge for dogs, and water fountains!)

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @UserID ,

Love your VW vans and bugs story. I can't imagine having a non-air conditioned car of any kind in Florida! Too hot for me. The "Bug Jam" in Polk County must be something to see!!

• Like Like x 1
    29. 65vwbus
      Dreaming

65vwbus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @UserID thanks David, it wasn't always that pretty. I've owned it since I was 19 (16 years), and it was rotten, full of newspaper and chicken wire.
      My first car was a beetle, I've only ever owned VWs. I don't have the problem of too much heat being in the UK! I always wanted to go to a VW show in America, seen photos of them.
      We have a Bug Jam over here too, and lots of other VW shows, they're sometimes pretty cold and muddy though. Before I got ill, I was camping all the time, I miss it.
      Kelly

• Like Like x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @Karen, thanks for the photo! It's amazing; My friend's dog, Jack, looks just like Dudley... only much lower to the ground. I guess that is due to Jack's Basett genes. It's like Dudley is a table, Jack is a coffee table.

By the way, @UserID and @65vwbus: I, too, am a Beetle fan. I drove a red 1968 stick shift VW beetle (no air conditioning, not really any heat) all the way through college. I loved that car. My dream car, if I could afford something just to drive for fun as well as a "real" car for transportation: a convertible VW Beetle from the mid-60s.

• Like Like x 2