Noise-Induced Ear Pain Just Started After Clapping and Making Some Noise When Having Fun in Car

Discussion in 'Support' started by eagerUser, Jun 7, 2019.

1. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi,

So last night we went out and while listening to some music in the car (not loud), we were having fun by clapping and making some noise (you know how people enjoy when they are high). Suddenly I felt pain in my right ear which happens whenever there is a sharp noise near me. By sharp I mean a high pitched noise. The noise lasted about 20 minutes or so. Such a thing used to fade in an hour or two previously, however now after more than 12 hours the pain is not gone and I feel kind of pressure in my right ear.

I am so scared it might be permanent. What the h*l should I do if it's permanent. No spike or whatever just a sharp pain with a fullness (maybe pressure) sensation. I also feel that my ear is wet when such a thing happens!

Guys do you have any idea what I can do right now? Have you ever had such an experience?

I need your positive stories. The pain is definitely fading but I feel like death warmed over!

No-one understands me. No-one understands what hyperacusis pain is! It is normal they don't, I wouldn't either if I didn't have ear problems. But I know you guys truly understand what I am saying.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      High pitch noises should naturally not cause pain, not even sharp ones unless they are on obsessive volumes.

So even before the noise pain from clapping you had pain from high pitch noises?

• Like Like x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      The best thing you can do is go to the doctor and get some oral steroids. I'd call around as many ENTs as possible and try and find one that will give you an injection into the ear of steroids.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes, High pitched noises despite their loudness bother me.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Isn't that an overkill? Any side effects? I've been to numerous ENTs but none told me about steroids.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The pain is already subsiding but the fullness is still there. I never had fullness in my right ear only ETD induced fullness in the left

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Tinnitus is f*ing debilitating. There are times when you wish, you beg for your previous state, for your yesterday. Oh shoot.

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I consider that debilitating knowing normal everyday sounds or music I enjoy becomes noxious

Why are you assuming this is ETD? It's probably damage.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No, I'm kind of sure the previous fullness is due to ETD. Cause when i move my throat and with certain foods (specially hard ones like a sandwich) it disappears for a short moment and I've been taking a nasal spray and it has improved a lot since. Also I can distinguish damage fullness from ETD fullness.

Not really I don't find that debilitating cause i am not a fan of music anymore and i have always hated load places.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      For all those having similar symotoms, It's been 3 months now and the pain is intermittent now which I think is a good sign it will go away. Some days it's just a slight tightness. The ear pressure is also the same and I wonder if it has anything to do with ETD because the pressure(not the pain) decreases with valsalva maneuver and with eating.

The pain also decreases after I eat an Ice cream LOL maybe i should try an Icecream regimen :D

P.S: It started after noise exposure but the noise was not loud enough to damage hearing I don't know why it happened?

P.S: My jaw may also play a role here. They say if the tmj is misaligned it pushes your eardrum and causes hyperacusis! I'm not sure! It could be the root csuse of my H or T as they started 2-3 days after tooth pain and dental X-Ray. I'm not sure whether the x-ray damaged my auditory system!

12. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      The thing with clapping is that it's actually really loud! I read a loud clap can be like 130 dB (presumably right next to hands). And when you combine this with being in the car, where the sound really has no way to escape, it's not surprising it led to pain.

In any case, it's good to hear it's getting better, and it's also funny to read about ice cream--mainly because calcium (and sugar) is supposed to make things like T worse (and maybe H)? but maybe the ice cream is also having some sort of temporary effect due to being cold/calming.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You're right but I Don't think it was anywhere near 130db. At most it was a bit more than 85db for around 20minutes if not quieter than that. it was the frequency which bothered me the most.

Yeah Ice cream has calming effect and that's why.