Noise-Induced Tinnitus — 5 Gigs Since Spike — Not Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dhaych, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Hey all,

So I'm 5 gigs in since my spike 3 weeks ago with new custom moulded ear plugs with -25 dB attenuation. So far so good.

Tinnitus hasn't gotten any worse, and I'm also slowly habituating to this new level. For those who didn't see my original post, it spiked due to headphone use in studio.

I've also been back in the studio recording our new album, but this time I recorded in the control room with earplugs in.

I wanted to post this because I've seen certain members reply negatively saying things like "never gig again" or "quit the band" and "never use headphones again, even at low volume".

While I appreciate they're trying to help, I think everyone is different in how they react to their tinnitus and how they deal with it. For me... it's "F*ck you tinnitus, you're not going to change who I am."

I just hope fellow musicians won't give up so easily and keep going so long as it doesn't get worse for you.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You just don't know what severe tinnitus is... and how easily you can reach that point if you aren't careful with your ears and avoid loud noises.

@Jazzer had to end his music career because he got severe tinnitus.

I urge caution and I'm sorry to say but if you reach suicidal level tinnitus, people are going to tell you they warned you but you didn't care.

It's your choice of course if you want to risk a life of misery.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Jesus, are you actually serious? This is why I've had enough of this forum. I would say my tinnitus is bad, I hear it above the shower, over driving, over playing guitar, I have hyperacusis too... clicking of a light switch has me turning away. But I've learned to accept it as a part of me and in turn I've been able to put it away into the back of my mind... until I view this forum. The anxiety I get from the negative posts here make it worse.

I know not everyone is the same and they have trouble dealing with it, but it can be done. And there should be more positivity around that.

I want to also say that I've nothing but respect for @Jazzer, I've seen his YouTube video... and it broke my heart. My father is also a jazz musician, plays drums and has vertigo & tinnitus from playing in the army band. But he still plays in his wedding band to this day. I'm just saying its not all doom and gloom and we need more positive stories or to hear more from musicians who have learned to carry on and cope with it.

I'm not stupid enough to keep going of the tinnitus gets worse, if it does. I'll have no choice... but not without a fight.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3
    4. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I also urge caution. You're right that the forum is full of negativity and it's often bad for mental health, but not all of that negativity is baseless! Tinnitus is often an one-way street and when you realize that there WAS a level of tinnitus that is too much even for you... it's often too late.

Please be super careful. As Bill Bauer likes to put it, if you start hammering a wall, it takes some time until you see the objects on the other side. That doesn't mean that the wall is invulnerable.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Thanks... and yes I'm super cautious, but not giving up the thing I love to do most, so easily.
      There's loads of musicians who have continued after onset of tinnitus, Chris Martin of Coldplay for example... Lars Ulrich of Metallica. I get optimistic from people like that.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I'm sure you mean well, but there is a lot about your post that is offending to me. Everyone who doesn't continue to play and responds to your post saying they had to quit is essentially negative. Well then I believe you won't find many other stories on a tinnitus forum!

The ones that are out there playing are not on here. Some will be, some won't ever. We don't know. But please don't assume that the ones who gave up on music did so without putting up a fight. To me, you're overgeneralizing and it rubs me the wrong way.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Never assumed that. Right, I'm out of here... hoping ye all find peace. I never meant to offend.

8. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      Shut up bitch.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please don't get yourself banned, you're way too funny.

10. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      The poster's paradox.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      @Bill Bauer - was he wearing custom moulded musicians ear plugs? He says he had increased ringing before bed, before it got worse...I don't get that. Like I've said... If I have any hint of it getting worse I'll have to consider stopping. For now, my tinnitus is fine. I'm hoping that the next 5 gigs it will be fine. Our drummer is now set up at the far side of the stage completely away from me.
      Sick of the scare mongering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you saying that debilitating tinnitus is not going to result in a life of misery?! Are you saying that there is no risk of your getting debilitating tinnitus as a result of attending gigs while wearing earplugs?
      30sxh4-jpg.jpg
      It is my understanding that custom moulded musician's ear plugs provide Less noise reduction than good foam plugs (that provide a reduction of 29 dB).
      Makes sense. But you are taking a risk.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's ok to be scared of dangerous things that have the potential to make your body uninhabitable.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Isn't it funny? A post meant as a positive story for other musicians was met with "you'll regret it", "you might get suicidal, and we'll be able to tell you we told you so", and quotes from other posts with movie trailer type oneliners "until one say, it wasn't".

I want to know with musicians here who quit, did they use custom moulds, IEMs, etc etc. How often were they gigging, what kind of music/venues. All relevant info, and can have different outcomes for individuals.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      OK Bill. I feel genuinely sorry for people who have it that bad. Or can't cope with it.
      But I can at the moment, and my tinnitus is loud, intrusive, unbearable... when I let it. I have three different tones going constantly if I focus on it.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Your understanding is wrong. Custom moulded ear plugs cover the entire cavity and outer ear, I have the -25 dB at the moment but can upgrade to 30 if needs be.

Your picture was amusing by the way. And yes I attend more gigs, with my custom moulds, and I f*cking love every minute of it. It hasn't gotten worse, in fact, like I say I'm able to park the tinnitus, I've actually made peace with the sounds is my head. Medidation helps, yoga. I've cut out sugar, reduced salt intake, caffeine, anything that might help.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Why do you want to know that? Everyone is different when it comes to how much exposure they can tolerate before they get tinnitus or make it worse so there's no way to tell. It might give you a false sense of security.

As you've already made up your mind I'd say go with it. And I mean that sincerely, not in a "you'll regret it later" kind of fashion. But I would be omitting part of the story if I said there isn't a chance you could make it worse. You know that. So it's cool.

One word of advice on the musician's plugs: they're not the last word on protection but are a good trade-off between fidelity and protection. Just get them tested for leaks often or if you suspect something's not right.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You'd better enjoy those hours of fun, as you might spend the rest of your life paying for it.
      Surely there exists a volume that you won't be able to habituate to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Thank you @Bartoli, appreciate that advice. With regards to questions for other musicians... just curious, simple as.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      You're a bundle of fun aren't you Bill? Haha. It's been weeks of fun, between rehearsals, studio and gigs.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Hopefully not Bill, I'm doing everything in my power to not make that happen while still gigging... and enjoying life to the fullest.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Eloy Resendez Jr
      Blah

Eloy Resendez Jr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Minor hearing loss (twice)
      Dude, I appreciate you being positive, that’s what this forum should be man. I’m having a hard time getting use to my new spike due to AIED, but I’m gonna fight it. Your type of story motivates me. As far as playing gigs, man rock on if your taking care of yourself. Whether what your doing is right or wrong, heck idk, but at least your not letting it control your life. Dude Ozzy is like 71 with severe “T” and has almost died who knows how many times and said in an interview not long ago that he wants to tour again... lol, that’s crazy. Again I’m not taking sides just appreciating your attitude.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Thanks for that @Eloy Resendez Jr, I agree man, hearing stories about well known musicians who have tinnitus and continue on, makes me think why can't I do that. Very inspirational.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The most negative aspect of this entire website is that members level accusations of negativity on other members.
      Members suffer at vastly different decibel levels.
      I have enough charity to assume that we all do our level best to cope.
      I will always leave these accusations to others.
      It ain’t my style.....

D0DB97F7-7028-47EC-AEDB-7FEF1DE37B34.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      If people choose to stay away from sound depends on whole host of factors. Personality. perception of risk, age, life circumstances severity of tinnitus/Hyperacusis etc. Yes you will always come across a overprotective parent who will not allow you to go out. I am probably like that as weighing up every decision and thinking what if this happens etc. I tend to overthink.

Remember millions have Tinnitus and only a few visit forums as it does not bother them. Some of them probably have it very loud.

While I admire your care free attitude you have to be extremely careful. I have tried to be careful with moulded ear plugs etc but my Tinnitus has worsened and have only attended a few loud events over the last two years perhaps four each time my Tinnitus has spiked. Now my tinnitus is so loud and can hear it above everything and secondly I have mild hyperacusis which is a lot worse having to deal with Tinnitus. I have given up Deejaying, nightclubs, headphones, football matches, cinema. Everything seems to cause spike nowadays even when in the gym, swimming or running. The only thing I really miss is the music festivals which is devastating. I still want to do one or two outdoor music festivals a year if I can. That is the dream

My concern is a music band with drums etc that perhaps the worse type of sound. I don't know what age you are but life is a marathon not a sprint so would take it easy with bands especially.

I am not a killjoy and suggest stay away from all loud sounds ad become a hermit but if you are exposed to loud sounds every week then you maybe over doing it and something will give later in life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you continue to subject your ears to overly loud sounds you risk your tinnitus getting a lot worse. This is likely to happen sooner rather than later if you also use headphones, even at low volume. I hope you never get to experience what severe intrusive tinnitus is like and it is sustained, because it can be your worst nightmare. The only difference being it will be a reality and not a dream.

One more thing: If you think earplugs or even bespoke moulded will stop your tinnitus spiking or permanently increasing to a new level, then you are sadly mistaken. If external sound is loud enough, it will pass through your head, and be transferred to your inner ear by Bone conduction. This can spike the tinnitus or increase it to a new level, no earplugs can stop this.

You are playing with fire. Sorry to sound so sobering but you have been warned.
      I wish you well.

Michael.

PS: since your tinnitus was not originally caused by exposure to loud noise, also known as Noise induced tinnitus, this is probably the reason you have been fortunate so far. However, I advise you not to rock the boat!

• Agree Agree x 4
    28. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Michael,

How loud would a sound have to be to pass through ear plugs and cause a spike? This is my worst fear (assuming I’m able to be in the mood to ever socialize again)

29. Jaka
      Wishful

Jaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you sure about this? In my opinion the external sound would have at stupendously high dBSPL to achieve something like this. I agree that bone conduction could potentially cause ear damage if you pressed a vibrating device directly to your skull, but air sound waves would require extremely high energy to be able to vibrate your bones so much to cause any damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Michael has posted this same thing numerous times. With no real proof, and it's really subjective. Dismissing professional ear plugs without probably being in that environment himself. Like I've said, I've used the shitty foam plugs, crappy standard musicians plugs for years and that's what did the damage. They would loosen up in the ear etc.
      My new custom moulds are NOT like that, and if anything, have improved my T because of the protection they provide.