Noise-Induced Tinnitus from Working at an F1 Arcade

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John Busco, May 21, 2024.

1. John Busco

John Busco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud club music 10h a shift
      Hi,

I’m very sad to be on a forum like this when all I wanted to do was work part-time, pay my bills, and focus on my business, only to now pick up a new problem.

I’ve been a music producer for six years, and my ears used to hurt quite a bit and are quite sensitive, but I’d never get ringing in my ears for longer than 10 minutes, 20 max!

I also stopped going to clubs and being around really loud sounds, and the pain stopped. I was eventually able to tolerate harsh sounds like cutlery clashing and other things. I never experienced ringing for more than 20 minutes, just pain and perceived hearing loss, although my hearing was actually fine according to the audiologist.

Two years later, I picked up a part-time job in an F1 arcade where the simulators are too loud, making a crazy amount of noise. The engine from the cars just roars in your ears, coupled with the loud club music from the venue and the packed background chatter. There’s just so much going on!

My ears would hurt from such exposure, and these shifts would be 9-10 hours, three days a week, sometimes three days in a row, so very little rest time in between.

After six weeks of working there, I got ringing in my ears last Thursday (16th May), and it lasted all night, which was scary because I’d never experienced that before. The DJ that night increased the volume extremely loudly. I was quite upset that I had to work the next day because my ears were still ringing, yet I had to take in 10 hours of loud music and F1 simulators again. Even though I put my earplugs in, my ears were already blown and violated.

Near the end of my 10-hour shift, I think 8 hours in, the ringing became loud enough to be noticed in a loud setting. At that point, I just upped and left, fearing for my own health. I don’t have work till this Thursday, but I’ve sent a voice note to the manager basically saying I’ve quit as I cannot continue to work in a place that’s damaging my health. I’m really scared because it’s been five days of ringing now. What makes things worse is that after Friday, I had my cousin’s wedding on Saturday, which was also loud, and I could not miss it. So I’ve been hammered by loud music while already having ringing, ultimately making the situation worse for myself.

This is exactly why I’m quitting, because I can’t bear not having rest time and giving my ears the opportunity to repair. I’m scared because the ringing is in both ears at different tones, and the volumes vary throughout the day, sometimes very noticeable and sometimes not as much.

I guess my burning question is: has anyone else had noise-induced tinnitus, and how long did it last? I’m trying to see if anyone had it for 1-2 weeks and then it went away. I’m scared that the ringing won’t stop since it’s been five days now, and prior to this, I hadn’t experienced ringing for more than 10 minutes! I’m 26, and it hurts me most that I didn’t actually do this to myself because of poor choices. It’s more that my conditions put me in a place where I had to work with loud music, and I couldn’t always wear earplugs because I had to interact with people.

Has anyone had 1-2 weeks of tinnitus that resolved itself? Have they exposed themselves to loud music and then had the symptoms come back for a similar length of time and then go away again?

I’m just trying to gauge if it’s common for temporary tinnitus to last 2-3 weeks and then stop for good. Otherwise, God forbid, I might be in for the long run!

I’d be so grateful for any responses. I understand someone may not want to read this as it’s extremely long, so I appreciate whoever does!

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Muggumbo

Muggumbo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Acoustic Trauma
      It can get better or go away, but it can take a long time. I've had mine for almost nine months, but it's better than it was before. Protect your ears in the meantime. I hope you recover.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Busco

John Busco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have you still got it, and how did you get it? Was it noise-induced?

4. Muggumbo

Muggumbo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Acoustic Trauma
      I still have it and it is from a metal concert. Before that, I had no issues with my ears at all. It's a lot quieter on average than before. Some days, I barely notice it lately.

5. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      The norm is that when you get it, you got it. I've only known a person or two that had theirs recede to where it didn't bother them so much... yet. It's not impossible, but seeing it go way down and stay down is unusual. Take heed, this can become a permanent and untreatable condition, and you need to stop exposing yourself to loud noises as of yesterday, or you will only make matters worse. If you have to quit a job that causes it to get worse, then you quit the job. Now, not tomorrow.

From this moment on, you need to understand what you're dealing with and whether or not things get worse or hopefully somewhat better in your hands and your hands alone. Don't wait until your ears hurt; that's too late. You're out of there if a sound "feels" too loud. This is the only way to deal with tinnitus. If you're very careful and ensure you are not exposed to loud noises again (if possible), you can mitigate what you currently have. If you don't do this, well... Take care of your hearing; these are the only ears you will ever have.

Spend some time reading some of these threads and get an understanding of what tinnitus is and how others experience it. And forget the idea of your ears repairing themselves, that isn't how this works. Damage is damage, so don't damage them further.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Varda
      Brooding

Varda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Azithromycin Z-pack
      I hate to say this, but the ears do not repair. Once cochlear hair cells have been destroyed, they never regenerate.

Hopefully, what you have is something called a "temporary threshold shift," where the hair cells have been bent but not completely destroyed.

You'll want to spend as many months as possible in complete silence. Start telling your friends you can't come out to party.

If you were on an insurance plan while working, see if you can't get paid medical leave so you won't have to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Busco

John Busco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This was a bit harsh. I’ve seen success stories on here where tinnitus has only lasted 2-3 weeks. You’re basically just saying, “Consider yourself doomed.”
      When I said repair, I guess I meant the TTTS thing because I’ve had pain in my ears before the onset of my tinnitus that only lasted 20 minutes but still had prolonged pain and muffled hearing that got better over time by avoiding loud sounds. So, I was hoping there might still be hope in this case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      I agree. That is a harsh statement (generally speaking) that often isn't true for many people experiencing (non-chronic) tinnitus unless you are closing in on 4-6 months with no change for the better. For most, at least sound-induced tinnitus, it usually stays—one way or another—after this time.

That being said, given your profession, you might have been lucky. I assume you have been exposed to loud music (above 85 dB) throughout the years? If so, your ears have been exposed over time to sound levels that, at one point, will likely influence your auditory system.

You can certainly get better, though. Make sure to rest your auditory system for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Ant315

Ant315 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction/Syringing
      Ears can and do repair to a degree. Many stories on here say exactly that, with hearing thresholds returning to normal after 10-24 months following acoustic trauma. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1