Noise-Induced Tinnitus Recovery After 2 Years (Not Habituation)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Sarah Russett, Apr 22, 2017.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah Russett

Sarah Russett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015 - April 2017 (now T-free)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      yeah I experienced momentary T spikes and I also experienced many many days where I thought I was making progress and my T was SO quiet and then the next day it would be p loud for a while again. and it had me questioning everything constantly before it finally decreased to a point where I could be 100% sure that it HAD in fact decreased a lot (like when the ringing finally went and I could only ever hear white noise and then that decreased more, etc.) so those are things to keep in mind

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      @Sarah Russett

Incredible and interesting... thank you for replying to message... I appreciate it!

3. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Encouraging story. Thanks!

I'm at 20 months with no change in noise level and mine is from one 2 hour concert..

It does force me to exercise and eat well since that keeps away the spikes.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Rick Brewer

Rick Brewer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Vinnitus and @jjflyman - Vinnitus, you say you haven't seen any improvement in your T and it's almost been a year. Is this because the volume hasn't receded? I'm curious... (Vinnitus and jjflyman) Both of you have the ability to compare your current T with a prior T. As your prior T was vanishing in the final days, what exactly were you hearing? I know the volume starts to decrease with ALL sounds as Gian mentioned in another post. But, I think many of us with noise-induced T are wondering if there's anything else in common for us to maintain a strong hope of recovery. For instance... After my first month of T, I noticed a pattern of more days with hissing and and fewer "better" days without hissing with a very soft high frequency tone in my head along with a faint background forever-changing high frequency tone in my left ear (like a mosquito is flying around my ear). I also hear excited neurons in the front of my brain as they amp up around louder background noise. Now, my pattern is more frequent with hissing on one day and a "better" day the next. I had my first 2-days-in-a-row "better" day last week and have been having them since. I wake up every morning very quiet with a tiny hint of what the day will bring - either hissing or a "better" day. As I'm falling asleep, I notice my hissing starts to fade. My hissing sounds seem a notch lower in the last couple of days and the hissing seems to becoming higher in pitch. Hissing moves from both ears to my head, back to my ears, then back to my head all day. Did your T become similar to mine as your good and hissing days alternated more frequently? Is there anything else to look for? P.s. My father acquired tinnitus from a cherry bomb fireworks exploding in close proximity similar to @Vinnitus . He had it for 6 or 7 years until it finally abated.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Rick Brewer

Rick Brewer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      for noise induced T, age plays huge role

the military conscripts are very young with solid ears, they can recover fast or suffer little damage to start with, and I know that because I was once a military conscript myself over 25 years ago and we did lots of noisy rifle, machine guns and grenade blasts with minimal ear protection and no one ever suffered at all

now if you are a much older person, with decades of loud music and general noise exposure under the belt, and a somehow weakened inner ear, that's going to evolve into a whole different and very sad story...

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Rick Brewer
      good story on your dad, would you mind writing a more detailed post on his story to help us out - how old he was, what is his background of previous noise exposure, what did he do after the trauma, any hearing loss etc..

8. Elena Cooke

Elena Cooke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress/events

9. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I got fleeting tinnitus my whole life before I got my tinnitus at 25.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Perhaps you are right. However, what about those survivors of a terrorist bomb (most of whom suffered damage to their ear drums)? It is unlikely that most of them were young, yet most of them had recovered from tinnitus...

• Like Like x 2
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am surprised that you refer to your non-hissing days as "better" days. I find the hissing sound to be a little easier to ignore (compared to the high-pitch sound). So, to me, "hissing" = "a better day"...

• Agree Agree x 4
    12. Rick Brewer

Rick Brewer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Bill Bauer
      Hey Bill, I wake up to near silence every morning with a faint hint of what the day will bring. Hissing starts out very low impact in the morning but morphs into a more reactive hiss by the end of the day. On non-hissing days, I hear only a faint high frequency tone in my head along with a faint intermittent wavering high frequency in my left ear that increases in volume around louder background noise. I much more prefer the non-hissing days.

13. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perhaps the group "most" are the young ones and the rest not

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Since 25 out of 26 had recovered, many of those 25 people had to be over 35...

"In that study, the patients underwent initial examination from the first day up to 10 months after the explosion, so the frequency of acute effects is not known. Pahor found the most frequent otologic symptoms in 111 hospitalized bombing victims to be deafness, high-pitched tinnitus, TM perforations, and earache. Otologic problems were found in less than one-third of the patients. Deafness was reported in 27 cases, and tinnitus in 26 cases. Twenty patients had perforated TMs. Hearing loss was mostly in the high-tones. In that study, all but one tinnitus case resolved spontaneously under follow-up (Pahor, 1981)."

• Like Like x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It sounds like for you, hissing is at a higher volume than the high frequency tone. For me, when the volume is the same, hissing is not as annoying/noticeable as the high frequency tone...

In any case, all of us ought to be thankful for the "good days", whatever they are...

• Like Like x 1
    16. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This is very hopeful. Can you please tell us more about this? How old was your dad, How severe was the T? Thank you in advance!

17. JimChicago

JimChicago Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Drilling
      Do you still use a riding lawn mower? I downloaded an app which says mine at ear level is 87 dB. I realize that the apps/phones have percision problems, but am hoping that 87 dB is directionally correct.

If you are still using a riding lawn mower, what is your dB when cutting grass?

18. Rick Brewer

Rick Brewer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Bobby B and @Flamingo
      I'll see if I can't find out more details the next time I speak with my father. I do know that he was around 16 when he got tinnitus from an exploding cherry bomb. He remembers it took 6 or 7 years for it to totally fade. He did say that T comes back maybe once a year for a few minutes during louder activities but totally fades again. He's 75 now and he didn't seem to have any emotion to T while we were discussing it in our last phone conversation. After he told me his T briefly makes appearances on rare occasions, I told him to be careful. He responded quite unemotionally as if he didn't care.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    19. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok 16 that's young enough to recover or not suffer much damage
      Thanks for the update

20. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Rick Brewer, thanks! 16 is indeed very young. I'm glad that it finally went away for him!

21. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Great story, thanks for sharing. I'm 2 weeks short of being 2 months in. I have the same mindset, sometimes I think I notice positive changes and the other time I think it's not decreasing at all.

Posts like these do me good!

22. Rick Brewer

Rick Brewer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Hello @Applejuice
      I'll be 11 weeks in tomorrow. I picked up T after using a loud impact driver in a confined area (trunk of a car). I've had many of those days too where I thought my T was almost gone, then BAM! ...Another loud day of hissing starts. My T also used to react to ordinary sounds like the TV, driving my truck (I have a diesel), and even walking outside to get the mail at my office. Now, only the shower amps up my sound(s) along with a few other louder continuous sounds. I also used to have this weird dull throbbing discomfort in my right ear but that has abated. For me, much of this progress happened between the 6th week and now. From reading your post, it sounds like your T cycles like mine - moving from days with hissing to lower days that may include lower volume hissing and/or a faint high frequency tone. Other people who have completely healed from noise-induced T on this TT forum have described their T to be similar to mine. The positive changes you're noticing is a step in the right direction, even if it goes back to being loud the next day. Another positive sign is when your T continues to change locations moving from your head to your ear(s) and so forth. You've probably read @jjflyman if you've been surfing the "Success Stories". He's on his 2nd bout with T and mentioned noise-induced T takes a long time to heal (6 to 18 months). For @heartohelp , his noise-induced T took over a year and was down to very faint hissing before his T completely faded. So hang in there Applejuice. I believe it's a good sign if your T is constantly changing and you're having better days at this point.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Rick Brewer

Thanks for your message. My T never goes really quiet so that worries me. But if I think back to the first day then I remember the sound being much richer, deeper. It is now in higher frequencies, at least that's what I think. Still roughly the same volume though, intrusive during the day.

My T cycles in the same day. Sometimes hissing in the middle with a ring that goes from left to right, sometimes a whistle that is compressed in a hiss (sort of hybrid), sometimes it's a clear whistle, then it is in extra high frequencies like a dentist drill that removes plaque and my spiked one, the worst is a really off putting screech mostly in my left ear. The screeching one was actually going down in volume until last night but the T has been a bit better since this afternoon.

So I don't have much difference in the type of sound between days but rather during the day. Is that a bad sign? Haven't really had better days but I do sometimes have better moments until a moment arises which sounds like it was in the beginning. Really off putting.

I do however have some sounds that go from left to right or sometimes a whistle only is on one side and the other side is hissing.

I think my problem also is that I'm checking every few hours each day. It feels like I'm looking in the mirror everyday trying to see if I got any older.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Rick Brewer

Rick Brewer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Applejuice
      You've only had your T for maybe a month and a half, right? I remember my hissing also changed to more of a higher frequency at right around 6 weeks into T. The fact that your T is changing so frequently, I believe is a good sign. T that constantly changes would have a hard time becoming chronic in my opinion. Regarding your T never becoming quiet, mine doesn't either for the most part. Every morning, I wake up to almost silence with a twinkle of something in 1 of my ears, then it grows into a hiss or a faint tone for the rest of the day. I recently had a conversation with someone who had noise-induced T and H for over a year. His symptoms were alternating high frequency hissing and/or faint tone in head or ears. He said it took up to a year before he was experiencing days with silence alternating with lower volume hissing. In his case, the tones abated before the hissing, then the hissing lowered over the next couple of months to silence as it alternated with silence. Everybody is unique in their bout with T and timing on healing. I'm also hoping for a complete recovery (as we all are!). Do you have other ear issues such as any pain or accelerated or amplified hearing? Is there any other issue besides all the unwanted noise? Also, does your "screeching" maintain the same frequency or does it vary similar to a mosquito flying around your ear?

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

My T appeared when I was 16 (two years ago) after noise exposure (cinema + stress and tired).
      It took 2 months to fade away. BUT 1 year after I went on the internet and found something about tinnitus and it was like all did reappear like it was before :banghead:

When I read that your father did wait 7 years to recovery it's really hopeful and I'm sure I'll beat it again ;)

By the way, nowadays 7 years represents an incredible scientific improvement compared to decades ago.
      Moreoever 7 years now is probably more than we need to wait before a treatment :beeranimation:

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you saying that your tinnitus came back on the day when you were reminded of tinnitus? How loud is it now?

27. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @jjflyman, I'm curious. How old were you when you got T the first time? Would you describe your T as mild, moderate or severe when you first got it?

28. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Rick Brewer

Thanks for you detailed reply! Yes I have it for roughly 7 weeks now or 1 1/2 month.

I had earpain in the first week. Not in both ears though and it subsided. I also have H but I'm noticing progress aswell since last week. My dog's bark hurted even from a distance but a few days ago he barked while I wasn't paying attention and I felt no pain or discomfort. So I decided to let in more normal sounds but I keep tv volume low, no headphones and I stay away from the dryer for example. Coincidally showering is the only thing that makes my T louder for certain. But I don't have any other issue tho.

My spike, the left ear screech often appears at the end of the day and it does fluctuate like a real screech does. There's no rhythm in it but it goes up and down like a rollercoaster even though the sound stays loud overall. Like a mosquito but faster.

But almost every sound I hear constantly changes like the sound of a mosqito does.

29. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      First time with T I was around 44. I would say it was very severe. It went faded completely away in around 18 months.

• Like Like x 5
    30. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very hopeful! I'm young myself, but this sure proves that noise induced T can go away even if you're over 40! Everyone should have hope, age doesn't matter!

Best wishes - I hope your T goes away soon!