Normal MRI and MRA — What Next for My Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Heidie, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Heidie

Heidie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all. It's been over 5 months since the onset of my self-diagnosed pulsatile tinnitus. What a lonely journey! No MD has really paid much attention to my condition.

The ENT I initially consulted dismissed me after normal auditory exams and MRI; a neurologist really had no clue; and my cardiologist concluded I would be just fine after a normal MRA.

I've tried to just move on and trust in habituation at some point. By now I am able to mostly ignore the PT during the way, but quiet times and sleeping are real challenges -- even with masking techniques.

So, my questions are: What do I do next? Do I insist on additional testing?

How do I find a doctor willing to investigate my PT, preferably in South Florida?

Thank you! Heidi

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Heidie,
      Ultra sound can check for narrowing in blood vessels.

Also hearing loss means you could be picking up your pulse from your caroted artery.

love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Do a SPECT scan. Psychiatrists and neurologists can refer for this. It is expensive though without insurance, a few thousand bucks. But it's more in detail than MRI. I still haven't tried it, as in my country I was denied as "it's only reserved for severe cases like Parkinson's etc." but I will travel to the States to get it done if necessary as many tinnitus sufferers can spot abnormalities with this scan compared to a small portion with an MRI or CT scan.

4. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin