Normal Noise Makes My Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Colby, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Colby

Colby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Does anybody's tinnitus get louder with certain noises. Just watching tv or air conditioning kicking on for example causes mine to spike.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Colby

Colby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It's makes my head fill fuzzy with the increased sound.

3. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      That used to happen to me (within the first 8-10 months of T) now not so much (rarely). I think it has to do with how much your brain is trying to focus on it (over other noise)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Colby

Colby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ya just looking for reinsurance. Had mild t in both ears for 4 years and have gotten use to it but these last three weeks I have had changes in tone and volume and has me feeling like day one again(stress and anxiety) that's probably the cause just panicking. Ears are full blast right now and don't know why. Going to be a rough one tonight. Had a slight pain in the neck before the spike and don't know if it has anything to do with it. Thanks

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If normal noises feel hurtful to you, perhaps you have mild form of hyperacusis. Have you seen an ENT yet to determine anything abnormal to your ears? Also, stress can aggravate T & H. So make sure you do something to release the stress level.

6. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I've had tinnitus since 2012 and mine is still reactive to certain noises. In addition, for some reason, I sometimes will get head pain with certain noises. The pain feels like someone put a knife in my head. I'm experiencing it now after running the sweeper--even though I wore ear plugs. The thing is I don't always get this pain; it's random. But why do I get it at all?

So, yes, I believe many people with tinnitus will get a spike when exposed to certain sounds. The sounds are probably near the ones your brain is missing and so it starts over firing when it "hears" a related frequency. This is just speculation, however.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Colby

Colby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, I have an appointment with ent but it's a month away. Certain sounds don't hurt my ears to say but I do get discomfort in my head and ears when I am around that certain noise for a while. What gets me is the sounds are not loud at all. I have a constant buzz in both ears but those certain sounds wil make my left ear increase in volume an make a crackling feeling in my ears and head. Sorry hard to explain. Whats weird is I had a morse code beep in my other ear that beeped faster and louder to sound but went away. Now my left ear is doing the same but with a differant tone

8. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Colby
      Neck issues definitely exacerbate T; at least it does in my case. I haven't been to the chiropractor in quite a while but I know it helps me a lot (get the neck and back straightened out). It might not fix everything with your T, but it is likely a contributing factor.

Mark