Northern Lights ...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dr. Nagler, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi All -

As some of you may know, I'm a bit of a photography buff. Anyway, in a couple of weeks I'll be headed to Fairbanks, Alaska and its 30 below temperature with my camera, a few lenses, a tripod, and my long underwear (brrr) for a few days to shoot the Northern Lights. If any of you live in the Fairbanks area, please contact me via PM. It would be great to meet over a hot cup of coffee ... or possibly something a bit stronger!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 3
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Thats awesome ! I am in Iceland so I see the Northern lights all the time , always mesmerized.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Make sure to post your pics here! :) Safe Travels.

4. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    5. @jimH I have seen that film...it's sad..:(

I love the Northern Lights, living in Ontario, Canada, I've caught a few glimpses of them over the years, but certainly nothing like what it would be way up North.

The best display I've seen was up North in Temagami, Ontario, on Lake Diamond. I remember laying on the flat rocks of the island that we camped on at night and watching the " ribbons" of the northern lights above..

Quite mesmerizing.

I would like to go to Churchill, Manitoba next and see them again and some Polar bears :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      I think it's great to have hobbies that distract us from our daily troubles. It would be nice to see the Northern Lights, I'll add that to my adventure list.

Yesterday I mowed the backyard grass (no snow here) and bought some stones to build a large fire-pit. As the darkness set in most of us sat around staring deeply into the glowing embers as if under its trance. The children were delighted eating s'mores, they bounced around like wild creatures caught up in the glow of the moons light and cold smokey air. We shared some good stories that night and it was nice to get away from the established patterns.

7. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Happy Trails!!
      Northern lights are on my bucket list.

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Have a great trip, Dr. Nagler. You are quite an adventurer. But if summer also offers northern lights, I will love to see this heavenly wonder for once in my life time. Where is the best spot to watch them in Canada? Is White Horse up north a good place?

10. @billie48 I would look up Churchill Manitoba.

11. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      hi,
      being an astronomer i have seen many intense aurora borealis, the best are reds coming straight down from the zenith,under my dark skies here on georgian bay ontario canada ! cheers to you