Nose Spray Solved My Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Jamie G, May 27, 2016.

1. Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/swollen Eustachian tubes
      I had a really bad cold and blocked ears in September last year, antibiotics helped the blocked ears to finally clear but as my hearing returned to normal I could hear a high pitched ringing sound. Having been worried there was nothing that could be done about it, I went to an ENT doctor and he used a camera to identify swelling inside my nose. He prescribed a couple of sprays and the swelling went down and now 2 months later the sound is virtually unnoticeable :)

Jamie

• Like Like x 11
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. christinefisher
      Fine

christinefisher Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Happy you are free now :)

• Like Like x 2
    3. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Great news!

Just remember... take care of your ears more than ever!

• Like Like x 1
    4. barbb

barbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used one called Otrivine Adult Nasal Spray for a week and another called Avamys Nasal Spray suspension for 6 weeks.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update: turns out it didn't entirely solve the problem. Seems that my tubes became swollen again after I stopped using the spray. I find a combination of decongestants and restarting the nose spray really helps but the tinnitus ends up returning again quite quickly soon after I stop. After a few days of nose spray/decongesting I can feel my ears popping often and there is a noticeable decrease in ringing but it is only a temporary fix. Does anybody have any ideas on a better, more long-term solution?

Thank you,

Jamie

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. Dee Willikers
      Lucky

Dee Willikers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ENT inflammation
      Dear All,

I'm late to the party (it's Feb. 2020) but I've been taking an allergy nose spray with great results. Started Friday and my ringing in gone now and it's Monday. Cause of my tinnitus: ENT area inflammation.

I was thinking for long term maintenance, I can use a saline nose spray twice a day as the air in my place is so dry my nose was bleeding every time I blew it. Saline would be good as it's cheap and essentially natural.

Has anyone tried this/saline yet? What were the results?

Best,
      Dee w.

8. magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      I had the same problem with my ears about a year before I got tinnitus. Long cold resulted in totally blocked ears, couldn't hear a thing, almost had to cancel a trip because of it! No tinnitus that time though what I remember. But nose spray definitely solved it all, it just took couple of weeks. Thinking the nose spray was some kind of Cortison?

9. JYD

JYD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Any positive updates from this group?

10. CricketsCull

CricketsCull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      I just read this thread. After reading it, I decided to try a valsalva maneuver on my nose to see what happened. As I valsalva'd, my tinnitus went away as the pressure increased. I also began to become dizzy very quickly as I maintained the valsalva pressure. As soon as I released the pressure, the dizziness went away immediately and the tinnitus returned more slowly (about 10 seconds).

It's interesting to me that a valsalva-like pressure could make the tinnitus go away for a few seconds. What is being pressed on inside my head when I valsalva that causes the tinnitus to momentarily stop?

11. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      I'm quite curious about this as well, as valsalva set off my tinnitus 2.5 years ago and it never left.

12. RonnieThailand

RonnieThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Microsuction/Irrigation
      Not sure but I just tried this about 20 minutes ago for a second and it created a horrible, strange headache in the back top part of my head. I won't be doing that again, thought I was going to have to go to the hospital for a few minutes there but it subsided 80% over the past 20 minutes. Just a really weird and localized pain. I also noticed that my left ear didn't fill up like it normally would before tinnitus when doing this (my right ear is my "bad ear", the one with aching from sound/ear cleaning and the one the tinnitus started in before going to both ears a week later). I'm assuming whatever damage is in my right ear involves nerves and the pressure just irritated them and referred to back of the head.