Not Hearing Pure Tones on Audiograms When the Sound Is Barely Audible?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is difficult to describe, but I have a hearing test app on my phone where you reduce a tone until it is barely audible. After my most recent hearing insult I tested my hearing again. At 2 kHz in my left ear, when I get to a barely audible frequency, it doesn't sound like a pure tone, I can tell sound is coming out, but it sounds distorted and not even like a 2 kHz tone but rather multiple frequencies that are alternating together. I tried flipping the headphones and did not notice the same thing in the other ear.

I have noticed this before in 12 kHz audiograms at the audiologist so I know it's not just my equipment, but this is the first time I've noticed it in the lower frequencies.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar?

2. benjd2016
      Irritated

benjd2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This could be early signs of Presbycusis. But unless you can rule that out, it could be anything.

I have the same problem above 5.5 kHz in left ear and 7 kHz in right ear. It's annoying because it distorts at frequencies above those up to a certain point. It's like there is a gap between say 5.5 kHz and 6.5 kHz and the same with the right ear.

One of the most annoying things but I don't think music is ruined at this point.

As for me, if it got so bad that I could not enjoy music, I would review whether my life would be worth living at that point. Very scary.

3. CW Dragon
      Conehead

CW Dragon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impulse Noise
      Your outer hair cells could be damaged and the ones around the 2 kHz pitch are amplifying incorrectly and so are amplifying sound to the incorrect inner hair cells. I think part of my tinnitus is like that since it isn't a stable 4 kHz ring but alternating similar pitches that randomly change (like musical ear tinnitus).

I got diplacusis and it sucks hard. When I tilt my head one way, I get a very noticeably different sound versus the other way. It's even noticeable on a pure tone audiogram. Not really distorted too much but just different.

• Good Question Good Question x 1