Nothing Works

Discussion in 'Support' started by Madd, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Madd

Madd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there. So I keep hearing on here that tinnitus does NOT get worse with time. Yet mine has gotten extremely worse in the last few months.

I started vaping about four or five months ago because the nicotine helps with my anxiety. I have neck problems and bad anxiety, which I'm sure is connected with tinnitus. I try not to listen to music with headphones but it's gotten to a point where I have to. I just woke up in the middle of the night with a panic attack because the ringing was so bad. I also do not sleep well at all and am often fatigued.

I am quitting vaping today to see if the nicotine was affecting it. I am also worried that stress is a factor and if so I am screwed because right now all my life is, is stress. I have tried music and sounds to help, as well as supplements. Please help.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Madd
      Ordinary tinnitus, by this I mean when it was caused by loud noise, doesn't usually get worse unless there is an underlying medical problem causing it, or there has been further exposure to loud noise including using headphones even at low volume. However, not everyone whose tinnitus was caused by loud noise and uses headphones will make the condition worse. I still don't recommend headphones for anyone that has noise induced tinnitus even at low volume.

Stress and the anxiety you mention, can be a contributor to making tinnitus louder and more intrusive. Tinnitus feeds stress and stress feeds tinnitus. It can become a vicious circle. Whilst it's good that you've stopped smoking, the side effects of nicotine withdrawal could be another contributor for the increase in your tinnitus. I believe when your stress levels are brought under control your tinnitus will reduce providing there is nothing underlying that's responsible.

Have a talk with your doctor as medication might be suggested to help your anxiety. I also recommend a referral to ENT so tests can be carried out on your auditory system, and then a referral to a Hearing therapist for tinnitus management. There is a lot of help available. I strongly advise that you stop using headphones or keep the volume at the lowest possible level. At night use a sound machine by your bedside, as it's not a good idea sleeping in a quiet room if you have intrusive tinnitus.

Please click on the link below and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. It is long and I advise you to Print it rather than just read it on the computer screen. There are positivity documents included that you can refer to when you feel the need.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Madd

Madd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Michael.
      I notice that when I do smoke it temporarily increases my tinnitus so that's why I'm quitting. I am very scared of it getting worse because it is getting to the point where I am having suicidal thoughts. I cannot control my stress. I'm in a very stressful situation being kicked out of my house and struggling to find a second job and place to live. I have already had auditory tests done and all the doctor said was sorry you have to deal with it. I do not have the money for things like sound machines and they will affect my boyfriend. He needs sleep more than I do, and I rarely get it anyway. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be combative but I'm just not in the greatest position to be able to help myself.

4. Capricornus
      Inspired

Capricornus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You're doing the right thing quitting vaping. I don't want to scare you but the "vape juice" contains propylene glycol which is ototoxic...

Actually, there's a couple of people here on TT who got T from vaping.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Madd,
      Try not to take on too much at one time is my suggestion. Try and sort out your housing situation and go back to your doctor and explain about your stress as something can be prescribed. It's important to get stress levels under control, so a referral to a Hearing Therapist can help a lot. Please read my article as I mention the help that can be sought through a Hearing Therapist. Believe me, a HT will not tell you that nothing can be done as most of them have tinnitus and therefore, will understand what you're going through.

When funds allow you can buy a "Sound Oasis" sound machine. All of them can be connected to a "pillow speaker" This is a pillow that has a speaker inside for privacy so only the user will hear it and not one's partner.

Read my article and you will start to look at your tinnitus differently.
      Michael

6. NavsPH
      Lurking

NavsPH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      Hi there Mad. I hope you feel well soon. In my experience ignoring my tinnitus and focusing on other things keeps stress and anxiety away. I pray to God for healing but I also pray for help in ignoring t so i can live. Gladly telling you that I am fine today and thankful to God for it. Today is much better compared to the days when t began. My t is still here, some days are loud some days are low, but i try not to measure or give any attention to it. My thought is if i keep ignoring it then maybe one day it won't matter anymore. May God help us in Jesus name, I pray. Amen.

7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      I strongly suggest you try to get some sleep. That really is the only cure i know of that reduces my T. Download an app called white noise on your phone and see if any of those sounds help mask your T. If they dont, i would suggest using the app to record the sound loop of your sink. That seems to be one of the universal masking sounds for most. This is what i use and i keep it at a volume slightly below my T. The sounds kind of blend in with each other which isnt so bad. I sleep like a rock every night.