Noxacusis — Should I Wear Earmuffs/Earplugs Throughout the Whole Day?

Discussion in 'Support' started by D'Angelo, Sep 2, 2022.

1. D'Angelo

D'Angelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Ear Infection
      Hey all.

Hyperacusis and tinnitus sufferer here. I couldn't care less about tinnitus. I've gotten used to the 'eeeeeee' sound in the last 8 months.

But my hyperacusis is very concerning. For background, I think I got all of this from acoustic trauma. I was in a band. Then went to a REALLY loud nightclub a year ago like an idiot. My tinnitus and hyperacusis weren't that bad the days following the club. But then I got an ear infection in January. Since then -- I've been lucky not to lose my mind.

Anyway -- there's so much conflicting information about hyperacusis. I don't think I have loudness hyperacusis. Just noxacusis. It seems like my ears feel better in the morning. As in -- no throbbing pain in silence. But as the day wears on, even in silence, they hurt.

Do you think I should cover up with earmuffs and earplugs wherever I go for a while? See if that helps?

Thanks a lot. I've had a lot of health issues. Asthma. Back pain. Drug addiction. But man -- this is a maddening one.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Moss

Moss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blasting speakers, medical trauma
      That’s really for you to figure out. Trust me, if you need the earplugs all the time, you’ll know it. So until you get to that stage, it’s usually best to play it safe and protect yourself when you’re out and about or doing dishes and that sort of thing. You don’t want to subject yourself to further setbacks. Don’t push it. Most of us would say that the ears need rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      D'Angelo

D'Angelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Ear Infection
      Thx man. I started wearing earmuffs. I definitely feel better, as if this is the best chance I have at healing.

• Agree Agree x 1