Nuheara

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rings-a-Bell, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Anyone tried these cheap new earphones... https://www.nuheara.com/ to see if their hearing amplification modes help with tinnitus from noise induced loss?

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I didnt know about that. Interesting.

3. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      Thank you Rings, for bringing this interesting device to our attention.

I’ve a very reactive tinnitus to noise, even my own voice in a heated conversation can trigger an spike. I wonder if I could use this as a hearing aid to watch TV or for conferences, meetings, etc. Does anybody know?

My digital hearing aids are too noisy, because, even the volume is switched low, they amplify any noise around me (low or high) too much, which my ears don’t tolerate and spike my tinnitus often, so I just don’t use them even though I really need them. Maybe Nuheara would be a solution for my problem, that’s why I ask.

Thanks.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      What I think we are seeing is the beginning of "Over-the-counter" hearing aids.

I'd love to try them but they don't ship to Barbados, so before I try to find a shipping work around, I was hoping some people here might be able to try them and provide input to the community.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Rings-a-Bell

You are asking for nothing but trouble using any type of headphones with noise induced tinnitus, no matter how low the volume is set.
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      @Michael Leigh
      Aren't they more akin to hearing aids if you are only using them for a little frequency specific amplification? I haven't heard of people make their T worse with hearing aids. In fact I'm seen that in some instances they help people.

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I had a look at your website again. If you are going to use them for speech only and not to stream music audio through these earbuds, then I suppose they would be okay. They are not the same as hearing aids. Hearing aids are for someone with impaired hearing. They will subtly amplify sounds from the environment and deliver them to the brain. In doing so the brain will turn down its internal gain as it no longer has to struggle to hear sound. This often reduces tinnitus.

Streaming music audio through these earbuds into the ear, is the same as listening to them attached to a mobile phone or other portable device. The music will be amplified and will also have syncopation throughout its audio range. It will have Bass, mid-range and treble frequencies. In my opinion, this can irritate the cochlea in the inner ear, because the sound has nowhere else to go in this closed environment.

People that don't have noise induced tinnitus might not be so easily affected with headphone or earbud use. It is also true some people with noise induced tinnitus use headphones without any adverse effects. However, many do even when using them at low volume. The choice is yours.

All the best
      Michael