Old School Bell Went Off Near My Left Ear — Do You Think It Caused Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Forever hopeful, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I was at back to school night tonight and unbeknownst to me I was standing under the school bell. This is an old school so the bells ring really loud. As soon as it went off I immediately covered my ears. I was probably exposed to it for a second, maybe 2 at best. I came home and took some NAC and 60 mg of Prednisone.

Do you think I’ll have hearing loss? I have no idea how many decibels it was but it was loud. Scared the daylights out of me.

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @Forever hopeful, I hope you're joking. If school bells were able to cause hearing loss, we'd all have been f*cked from childhood.

I'd say taking Prednisone after such a mild "incident" (not really an incident) puts your health more at risk than anything. You shouldn't pop Prednisone like candy.

Paranoia about normal everyday sound incidents isn't treated by Prednisone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Thank you. I’m not normally this freaked out by loud noises I am only exposed to for a brief time, but I was literally standing right under the bell and it was so loud. I wouldn’t have been so worried and I’ve been shading away from the bell.

I also don’t pop Prednisone like it is candy. Just trying to preemptively ward off any hearing loss. My left ear is damaged and therefore my hearing in it is unstable. I’ve had tinnitus on and off in it for 1.5 years. I’ve currently been enjoying five months where the tinnitus is completely subsided. I’m just trying to ward off it coming back because it was my left ear that was right under the bell.

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I wouldn't worry about it if I were in your shoes.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Thanks. I have enough to worry about like should I get the vaccine or not? I know I have to but can’t stomach the thought of tinnitus worsening.

6. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      If you have the opportunity maybe you could (with ear protection), or even better have the school do it, measure the actual dB-level of the bell.

If is is above 110-115 dB the school should not be using it at all imo.

When that is said, 115 dB in "bell"/alarm frequency is something that feels very loud, even if it should not cause instant hearing loss. Point being there is a good chance you did not get hearing loss even though it felt very loud.