On Most Flights, My Hearing Comes Back for 2-3 Seconds

Discussion in 'Support' started by SilentNoise, May 3, 2016.

1. SilentNoise

SilentNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Neuronitis/Meniere's
      Hi,

I was diagnosed with vestibular neuronitis sometime in 2012. It started with a loud ringing in my left ear and vertigo. The vertigo has never come back, but I got tinnitus in my left ear and lost my hearing since that night.

I have learned to live with it really well, though large social gatherings still make me frustrated. I cannot carry on a conversation with friends and family in places with a lot of background noise, like pubs, restaurants, concerts, etc. as I cannot hear a thing.

I also fly regularly as part of my job. One strange things that keeps happening on 90% or more of these flights is that I am able to hear in my left ear for a very short time, usually 2-3 seconds. Due to the changes in air pressure, my ears would hurt a bit sometimes or not at all. And most of the times, i will feel it pop (that's the closest i can describe) and I can hear everything so clearly in my left ear. Sadly, it always last for 2-3 seconds only.

I told my ENT about it and he's like - I have heard about it. Has anyone ever experienced something similar?