On & Off Loud Humming

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lian, May 19, 2016.

1. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I'm really wondering how on earth this form of tinnitus is constructed to have it completely stop when being spoken to (in between the words the buzzing continues) or upon shaking the head quickly from left to right (like when you 'say' "no"). It stops for a second and then it picks up again.

What mechanisms are causing this? Regular tinnitus does not do this, at all.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. star-affinity
      Depressed

star-affinity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, which got an increase in 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably during a soundcheck – sudden sound from speaker
      I can also stop my hum temporarily by shaking the head in a "no" pattern. I got my hum (and elevated "broken up tone" tinnitus that hasn't bothered me since my since teenage years – will turn 43 this year) in conjunction with drinking six beers one night in December last year. Never never heard of drinking a bunch of beers being able to trigger tinnitus. I can go many months where I drink very little or nothing at all, so it's not like I'm drinking often or very much.

I can mask out my hum with most low frequency fans like @OnceUponaTime mentions. I also found this white noise posted in another thread that more or less totally "takes it "out" of my head.

End of page 2:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-it-tinnitus-low-hum-—-im-very-worried.35477/page-2

Unfortunately it seems I've now developed a hiss in my left ear from trying to mask my hum and "irratic tone" tinnitus. :(

I've stayed mostly away from headphones and just used my phone (in airplane mode) as a speaker, but I did have them on at a low volume when sleeping some nights (mostly to not disturb my partner), but maybe that was enough to trigger the hiss.

What's the next mistake I will make?

Like many have said – stay away from headphones for long sessions even at low volumes!

3. star-affinity
      Depressed

star-affinity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, which got an increase in 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably during a soundcheck – sudden sound from speaker
      It now seems my hum gets more or less totally masked by the super high frequency hiss I now have in the left ear. Interestingly I thought it was only low frequencies that did. But maybe it's just my ear that's changing.

I used to be able to stop the the hum temporarily (10 seconds or so) by pressing the "lid" of cartilage outside the ear canal a few time quickly with my finger. Doing this seem to have a somewhat similar effect to the hiss.

But I will try to leave my ear alone now and see how it develops. If I can without going crazy...

In my case I much rather have the hum witch was only heard in certain rooms/places and could easily be masked out with low frequency white noise. This hiss is so sharp (albeit low in volume) and I have a hard time trying to bury it with other sounds.