One Dose Cure for Otitis Media

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Anonymous2929, Sep 17, 2016.

• Like Like x 4
    1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's good news. Also it means there is a way to deliver drugs across the eardrum (without having to actually puncture it), which is quite exciting.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      I had Otis 10 times during a two year stretch when I was 6 that's definitely what weakened my hearing and got me here.

3. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's interesting that the middle ear infection caused your hearing loss, I thought only inner ear infections could do that.

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Doctors can only see the infection in the middle ear (they look at what's behind the eardrum with the otoscope), so that's what they write you up for, but it doesn't mean the infection hasn't spread to your inner ear.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Anonymous2929

Anonymous2929 Guest

Well, I am sure that is what killed my hearing. I had 100% hearing in my right ear before the infection and 20% hearing in my left ear which has stayed the same since I was born. All I can remember, is waking up in terrible pain and thick, smelly fluid seeping out the ear.

Greg is correct, all they do is look in your ear but there is no way to know whether it is inner ear infection or otitis media. I had surgery to place a grommet in the infected ear but it was too late. By then I had lost 50% hearing and at the age of 23 I became profound. It is ironic; I had the infection at 13 and at 23 had lost all hearing in the right ear

6. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see, when I had an inner ear infection (labrythitis) it's was far far worse than the previous 10 middle ear infections I had as a kid. I never experienced vertigo and crazy tinnitus noises until I had inner ear infection/inflammation. So bad the inner ear problems are. Inner ear in my case was invisible, just horrible vertigo and birds and crickets a nd snakes tinnitus which I still have.

7. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My T started from an ear infection also,my left ear went full followed by popping cracking and ear pain.Eventually it spread to my other ear and then T showed up.The doctors couldn't see any infection at first and put me on anti-biotics just in case.It done nothing,I was then sent to an ENT who at first couldn't see anything wrong but when he removed wax from my ear he could see redness and a very apparent fungal infection.I was given a hearing test which was normal and then had this cream stuffed into my ear canal to treat the infection.A week later and I was a new man,my T dropped by like 90% and my hearing was still perfect.9 months later and my T was all but gone completely but then one noisy night changed all of that.Noise or infection induced I guess we're still susceptible either way.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Sensorineural hearing loss in the acute phase of a single episode of acute otitis media
      Ana Luiza Papi Kasemodel, Ludmilla Emília Martins Costa, Rafael da CostaMonsanto, Andreza Tomaz, Norma de Oliveira Penido
      https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjorl.2019.06.001

Abstract
      Introduction
      Acute otitis media is a disease with high global prevalence, that can lead to several acute complications and auditory sequelae. Data regarding the auditory evaluation in the acute phase of acute otitis media are scarce.

Objective
      To evaluate the main audiometric changes (air and bone conduction thresholds) in the initial phase of an acute otitis media episode.

Methods
      A case-control study was performed. Patients diagnosed with acute otitis media with less than 7 days of evolution in relation to the complaint onset were selected, and healthy volunteers were selected as controls. The acute otitis media and control groups were submitted to pure tone and vocal audiometry.

Results
      The acute otitis media group included a total of 27 patients (30 ears). Hearing loss was present in 90.0% of the ears with acute otitis media, with conductive loss in 14 (46.67%) and mixed loss in 13 (43.33%). Both the air and bone conduction thresholds obtained with the tonal audiometry in the acute otitis media group were significantly worse than the controls at all tested frequencies (p < 0.05). In patients with acute otitis media, we observed that the thresholds for frequency >1 kHz (bone conduction) and 3 kHz (air conduction) were significantly worse in patients with tinnitus compared to patients without tinnitus.

Conclusion
      During the first 7 days of evolution after the onset of an isolated episode of acute otitis media, we observed significant increases in bone and air thresholds at all frequencies, especially >2 kHz, compared to healthy ears.

• Like Like x 1