One in Five Teenagers Has Permanent Ringing in Their Ears, According to Study

Discussion in 'Research News' started by dan, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      So true Grace but when you say our generation is screwed do you mean were never going to see a cure??

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Lol no the fact that everyone will have T in like 15-20 more years. By that time they will have figured something to lower T volume! :)

• Like Like x 3
    3. Willie
      Shitfaced

Willie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20/2010
      The more people that get t the more pressure on science for a cure. Which is good, but I would never wish t on ANYONE.

• Agree Agree x 7
    4. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yup, I'm with this group.

5. TwinGlocks

TwinGlocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2013
      I've hardly ever listened to loud music and very seldom have gone to loud venues and I still came down with T.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah exactly i dont wish it on anyone either but statisicly the numbers are gonna go up each year :-/ but then more of a fight for a cure :)

7. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      They always focus on music causing tinnitus but this day and age society is cluttered with noise... couple of days ago I was in the airport of Kuala lumpur, people working there are destined to get T or hearing loss. I was the only one wearing hearing protection. Building sites across cities using metal, how many times I had to quickly put my hands to my ears because of sudden noise exposures of metal falling or hammers hitting it ... and most of the time i`m the only one doing it.. people arn`t informed nor educated about it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Arent the workers supposed to wear protection ?:) I think in many countries for workers there are regulations and laws to protect employees. I dont know if in Kuala Lumpur they have such regulations...

9. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I mean the Kuala Lumpur waiting area where non stop through the speakers people are yelling what plane leaves or arrives. It`s so loud you can`t even understand it.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Exactly. While people can get tinnitus from being reckless or irresponsible with their hearing, it's not like anyone gets it on a dare. Our society encourages exposure to loud noise as a regular thing, and as a completely innocuous thing, reckless or not. No one is trying to give it to people.

If enough milleneals start getting it bad enough, the "youth" of America, and the West and first world generally, a critical mass will be achieved, one would think, that could create the impetus needed to fund a cure. Then again, T is not fatal, and it could consistently be underprioritized in our competitive, financially tightly strung modern economy. I guess like it apparently always has been thus far.

I read some article where Pete Townsend was reflecting on his T and years of hearing loss and loud, loud music, and he was blaming it mainly on his headphones in the recording studio, and his last comments were some dire thoughts about the future of T for young people, like it's going to end up being an epidemic of sorts moving forward, with everyone so ear-plugged in all the time.

So while it sucks for anyone to get it, the silver lining could maybe be,if so many are getting it to varying degrees, a galvanized medical community that wants to tackle this thing once and for all. Hearing is so critical, and T is such an unwholesome, inhuman sort of torture, at least when it's bad. It's the sort of thing that just cannot stand! Habituation is one thing, but we have it within our power to conquer it. I would think it's mainly a matter of the financial, and almost moral will to follow through.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Its sad that kids dont care. Yesterday my sis said she listened to her ipod on full blast for a few hours through the day i could hear it sittin next to her.. Keep tellin her shes gonna end up like me and shes like i dont care like the attitude that it wont happen to her. Ugh.

13. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Maybe you can play her a video of tinnitus sound or make her listen to an EEEEEEEEE sound via her headphones for an hour?:D My sister (26, 3 years older than me) also goes to clubs frequently. She says she has had temporary rining, but not permanent. She knows about my condition but she doesn't care, and I cant do anything. I guess its her risk then.

14. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

My mom went to some loud events lately. She know how I hate my tinnitus, and she knows life becomes harder. But when ahe goes, she does not care. She does not use ear protection.

People don't realise how bad it is till you have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Don't tell children about tinnitus, they will think about it then will have it for no reason.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yup same here older sister and younger sister dont give a shit i showed them a
      Youtube video and my younger one was like "i wouldnt care if i had it" but bs. I
      Kno she would. But like you said, its there risk.

17. MHansen

MHansen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Yes -- the ongoing lack of awareness around sound exposure and potential hearing damage (and other impacts) is tragic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      My brother doesn't care. I think people honestly do not understand it unless they have it. Before I had T, I would have thought it was unfortunate - but I would have thought that it was very hard to get T, and that I would not get it. In a way I am glad that I have T. I believe I have T because of sinuses/congestion, but that maybe by listening to my headphones I got minor T which I couldn't hear unless I blocked my ears, and because of my congestion issues it has made the sound louder. But knowing how awful T can be, I am not going to listen to music loud anymore. I didn't really enjoy going to clubs/concerts, and now I have the perfect excuse not to go. I am going to use headphones still, but only for exercise and travelling (car/airplanes journey's make me feel ill and the music helps, and I don't have the motivation to do heavy exercise without music). I used to use headphones in my house, and now I could kick myself for being so stupid.

My point is that I am glad I know how bad T is, because now I am not going to be reckless when it comes to my hearing. I am hopefully that because of my sinus issues that my T will go when it clears up, and hopefully I can then prevent further damage.

19. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im suprised my whole family isnt deaf let alone have T. I love them to death but there a bunch of bafoons when it comes to loud music lol. I just get annoyed coming home from work, and theres my dad in our living room on the computer blasting music while he cleans and then he will litterly sit 1 inch away from the speaker.. I just dont get it. And also everyone in my house
      Talks sooooo loud i have to laugh about it actually. Sometimes i just cant escape loud things but i love my family so
      Im not gonna let T get inbetween that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      At the end of the day were fighting an invisible and unpredictable enemy.When I first got T I was like why me(had only been to two concerts and went clubbing like 4 times in my entire life)as I had never abused my ears in my life I didnt and still dont have an ipod to listen to.So I became causious with my hearing avoiding loud music at birthday parties until I stopped going to friends birthdays just to be safe as they would be cranking loud music at them.I was cautious but exposing myself to everyday sounds like traffic and so on.But my point is how are we suppose to defend ourselves from something we dont see and cant predict?Sound is everywhere whether its walking down the street and a car blows its horn as it passes by you or somebody sets off a fire cracker besides you just last halloween I went out with a few friends and wore ear plugs the whole night incase somebody decided to be a jackass.And of course there were people exploding fireworks beside one another and getting a great laugh from it.The fact of the matter is the younger generation think hearing loss is something you associate with old people which is such a stereotype at this point.They dont realise that all it takes is one push too far to result in serious consequences.Ive done my best to spread the warning to everyone I know I was even on Irelands top radio station talking about it and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears(excuse the pun;))

21. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I just want to say that they're going to spend 500 million dollars on Obama's presidential library. 500 million! If all that money was put into focused Tinnitus research, I bet they could find a cure, or the next best thing, some sort of very effective treatment for lowering the volume to next to nothing. There just isn't the money being put into it, although it does seem like there's more interest and concern, and things are percolating on several fronts, especially with autifony.

And I'm a Democrat. Just wanted to mention that. Definitely did not mean to be political in anyway. It was just an example of frivolous spending that could be put to better use. I still don't understand why so many millionaire musicians don't get the ball rolling with some serious financial support and organization. Rock stars, DJs, etc. Perhaps they already do. For them it's an occupational hazard that you could argue comes with the territory, but what their plight really does is shine a light on just how real, and how cause-and-effect based Tinnitus as a medical affliction really is. T in a certain way might be sort of inherent and part and parcel to the human constitution, where everyone hears at least some sounds in a deathly silent setting. But by that line of thinking so is cancer. It's very much "natural" in it's own way, and yet we fight it furiously, and beat it, and don't take it lying down and accept it as our lot in life. Same with leprosy. ;) That last remark was a joke.

T is not just hearing loss. It's something much more than that. A greater awareness campaign would also be extremely worthwhile, but a cure so to speak, is obviously the only true goal. Not just louder warnings about loud noises. Anyway, just wanted to say all that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. Snake Plissken
      Crappy

Snake Plissken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      I am one of those 20%. Funny because I always took special care of my hearing and here I am with chronic T at 16. Makes you wonder if there's a genetic aspect.

• Agree Agree x 2