One-Sided Tinnitus — ENT Wants to Rule Out Acoustic Neuroma with an MRI

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by M.E. McDonald, Feb 8, 2019.

1. M.E. McDonald

M.E. McDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi All,

I've been experiencing one-sided tinnitus for several months. I've had it on and off over the years but this time it's really persistent. Also, the ear with the tinnitus has become very sensitive to noise, clicking and thumping and feeling uncomfortable on the phone, in crowded rooms, or with music, etc.

Went to ENT last week and my audiogram turned up with asymmetrical hearing loss.

ENT said I had to go for an MRI to rule out an acoustic neuroma. I'm going this week but of course I am concerned, especially since I also experience some balance difficulties.

Can anyone relate to this?

Thanks! M.E.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I was referred too, due to one sided hearing loss. Still waiting on my appointment.

Are you experiencing vertigo and "drop"?

3. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s unlikely to be acoustic neuroma I’d guess as one sided tinnitus is extremely common, but they have to check

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      M.E. McDonald

M.E. McDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for the reassurances. I have had a bit of vertigo. No drop, just off balance.

5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Several people on the forum has had their tinnitus spike or permanently worsen from doing an MRI. Perhaps worth considering before getting one.

6. Sabrina sankar

Sabrina sankar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My name is sabrina and a couple days ago i got this pulsating in my right ear i am a sinus person so i dont know if this could cause it but i put cipro ear drops in and used valium can this worsen it because i still have it

7. JoeC100

JoeC100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Just went through the same process. Have had T for 12 years and experienced a spike, which hasn’t subsided. Doing my best with it. MRI isn’t a terrible idea to rule out anything serious, but as Agrajag said, one sided T is pretty common. I personally have T in both ears, but my left is really high pitched and varying and my right is monotone. Oddly enough, my right ear is the one with a degree of hearing loss. If you do the MRI, just be sure to be the boss. Tell them you want to try out the earplugs they provide, and bring a sealed package of your own if you prefer. Also, they padded either side of my head tightly with cushioning. It was loud, and the volume is exhasberated by the vibration. But I did not feel like it was damaging with the protection. I also opted out of the contrast, and they were still able to get clear pics of my head. You HAVE ago be the boss in there. Don’t feel pressured, for instance, I asked for a short break after a loud set of images. If at any time you feel uncomfortable, STOP. Let us know how it goes!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      M.E. McDonald

M.E. McDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well, had the MRI today. Not the most pleasant experience, but not the worst, either. Looking forward to getting normal results so I can move on from the acoustic neuroma scare and explore other potential causes for the unilateral tinnitus. Thanks for the support! M.E.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. JoeC100

JoeC100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Glad you did ok with it! Keep us posted :)