One Year Anniversary — "Gifted" with a New Sound

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raphael7713, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I got my tinnitus last year at January 15th. I've had it on and off, same with the "reactive tinnitus". I habituated to both and if you asked me two days ago I would say I'm 90% habituated and living exactly the way I did before I got tinnitus. That is until yesterday evening when I sat up late and watched tv series. Out of the blue I got this weird hissing sound that keeps going up and down as a roller coaster, and I still have it.

It's kinda like this:

eeeeEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeEEEEeee

I can recall having this once some months ago when I was going to sleep, but that went away some minutes/hours later, cant exactly remember.

Where did this come from? I haven't done anything I'm not supposed to do, literally. And I was feeling SO well, I would almost go so far and call me "cured".

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Bump

3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      One hypothesis : more neurons are activated/bursting creating this new sound.

Tinnitus is a condition that has an never ending changing effect on brain plasticity as seen in FMRI scans.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Well that sucks LOL :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      This sensation has now seemed to switch from right to left side..

6. historicalagency

historicalagency Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey -- I have a similar situation. I was pretty much habituated in September, and then late September I had like, 2 new sounds that really sent me on a downward spiral. I have the exact same eeEEEEeeeEEEEeeeeEEE that you describe -- sometimes it stops abruptly for like, .5 seconds, and then starts again. But it's like a teapot whistle or radiator, going up and down and up and down constantly. This one is the one that drives me crazy - -I can't mask it. Oh how I'd give anything to just have the original static hiss that I used to have. I think mine is caused primarily by muscles and TMJD, I have perfect hearing. Did yours ever dissipate? It's been almost 3 months now for me with this new eEEeeeEEe.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      This sounds familiar. I had pretty much habituated to my hissing and high pitched sound when last year new sounds developed and it acts like you say; eeeeEEEEeeeeeEEeeeeEEeeeee Almost impossible to not lose it mentally.
      I find it strange that more and more people seem to experience worsening with the same kind of sound and no obvious reason... is there a global epidemic going on? :nailbiting:

Where are you located @historicalagency?

8. historicalagency

historicalagency Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Makrohn Yep, pretty much same exact thing that happened to me :'(

I am in Canada at the moment. You? Have you found any medical help at all? I'm kind of thinking it's muscle/TMJ related but no doctors have been able to help at all, really.

9. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      @historicalagency

Ok, so all three of us are on the northern part of the planet. Just an interesting observation...
      I have not found any help so far... Checked my ears two times, done 3 audiograms and nothing.

It could be muscular, but so far I have not felt the need of checking it up.
      Sucks to be so lost in all of this :/

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      So there are 3 of us experiencing this. It's really strange. I haven't done anything that would worsen my T, and I went from a mild T to a more high pitched one that is difficult to mask. Funny thing is I remember before I got this setback how I thought to myself "1 year with T and im actually feeling really really good". Then BOOM!