Onset Time of Tinnitus from Benzo Zyprexa

Discussion in 'Support' started by PDTemplar, Dec 28, 2016.

1. PDTemplar

PDTemplar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will keep this brief. I previously introduced myself here a few weeks ago. I have spent a tremendous amount of time reading, literally thousands of pages of anecdotal stories, blogs, snake oils, useless advertisements, government studies and anything else I could find. I am tired, and on information overload as well as stressed from the ringing.

After a tremendous amount of research I concluded that the most likely cause of my Tinnitus is probably from a one time benzodiazepine injection at the hospital administered to relieve a panic attack. I am not completely sure how much I was given. The nurse said it was 15mg however the paperwork I received later said it was 10mg. Either way that is a rather large does by injection because to my understanding an injection is approximately 5 times as potent as an oral dosage, meaning I may have received 50-75 mg in comparison to an oral dose.

After about 3 weeks from the injection I developed some rather uncomfortable sensations, nightmares, headache, depersonalization, odd thoughts and some other things. Lastly, I also started to have horribly ringing my ears which I learned is called Tinnitus.

My primary question is this, I am trying to isolate the cause of my Tinnitus, so I can more effectively treat it. At this point I have ruled out a few things, as an example I know it isn't ear wax buildup because I have had my ears examined by around 5 different Doctors. My primary question is, does anyone have any information relating to how long it takes for Tinnitus to develop in the event that it is caused by a benzo? I have read a tremendous amount, I have googled it, and searched here, but I can't seem to find the answer. It may be useful in helping me decide what my next course of action should be.

Thank you for take the time and reading and hopefully responding.

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      I do not necessarily think there is a specific treatment to tinnitus based on cause; the end result is the same, whether it was caused by loud noise, ear infection, car accident, sinus infection, medicine, chiropractic adjustment, or any other reason known to man.

A fortune cookie could be "Many roads lead to tinnitus. But do you know the road back?"

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PDTemplar

PDTemplar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mike I think there are specific treatments for Tinnitus based on the cause. Certain supplements are known to address certain disorders. Sometimes the cause is based on misalignment in the spine, or dental problems for instance as you pointed out. Sometimes damage has occurred to the ear cells... other times it is a neurological issue. What I am trying to do is determine if in my case, based on the time frame, Zyprexa is the likely culprit but I have been unable to find any information on the time frame Benzos usually produce Tinnitus. That would be useful information for me.

4. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      This is an old thread but I wanted to clarify here that Zyprexa is Olanzapine (an antipsychotic) not a benzo. It is available via injection but seems like a pretty aggressive treatment for a panic attack.