Opinion: In-Ear Monitor vs. Ear Plug/Prices?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gigi, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Gigi
      Alienated

Gigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Hey Guys!
      So my school is doing a discount where people are coming to make custom mold ear plugs:

"The regular price of Earplugs is 175€ (£135) but you will receive 15% discount making them 148.75€ (£114.75). This will be taken in £ sterling so my change marginally depending on exchange rates of the day.
      There will be a range of In-Ear Monitors available as well:
      R100s - £190 (247€) with 15% discount 209.95€
      R203s - £600 (780€) with 15% discount 663€
      R303s - £800 (1,040€) with 15% discount 884€"

Is what they said. Is this well priced? What is an ear monitor? And what should I get? Thanks!

2. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Gigi are you looking to just use these items as ear protection or are you looking to use them as actual professional in-ear headphones that allow you to hear the stage monitor and instruments when playing live?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gigi
      Alienated

Gigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      no I just want protection. So is that what an ear monitor does?

4. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I have in-ear-monitors I use while I'm interpreting on stage. The type I use has foam sleeves that blocks most sound. The tech at the sound board gives me my mix in the monitor. I have only voices in my monitor. I adjust left and right and for volume. But... It does not block the bass and lower tones in the drums. These are bone conducted. I still need to find a good ear muff to block those lower sounds from reaching my mastoid to further protect my hearing.

I'm looking for low profile ear muffs that blocks 30+ decibels that are very affordable. I need to protect my hearing, but I don't have a lot of money... I plan to wear the muff over my monitors. And I wear glasses. I hope that doesn't' make it uncomfortable.