Oricula Therapeutics Hopes to File for FDA Approval This Year

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Samir, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Oricula Therapeutics appears to be preparing for an FDA filing for drug approval. But I could not find any clinical trial results.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2017/06/preventing-chemo-induced-hearing-loss.html

• Like Like x 11
    2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      It appears that this refers to an IND application rather than an NDA. Assuming the IND (Investigational New Drug) application is approved, they will be able to start clinical trials. At the other end of the process - after a Phase 3 trial, they would submit an NDA (New Drug Application).

There's a thread from last year about Oricula though it is important to note that "Phase 2" refers to the SBIR program, not clinical trials: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-phase-ii-grant-for-oricula-therapeutics-llc.13842/

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Yeah, you are right. I e-mailed them about it. This is their response.

If I interpret this correctly, they will be filing an IND for a Phase 1 clinical trial this year. Whether or not they will get approval, when they will get approval, when the actual trial will start... that, we don't know. Assuming everything goes according to plan, that will all happen very soon.

It seems to me like they hope to get the results in the following year, and show efficacy. But I'm not so sure about this, because they need to first complete the Phase 1 (in "normal" volunteers"), then the Phase 2 and get the results in from that one, before they can show efficacy.

In summary:
      2017-07-01 – 2017-12-31: File IND
      2017-07-01 – 2017-12-31: Start Phase 1 trial
      2018: Start Phase 2 trial
      2019: Show efficacy from Phase 2 trial
      2020: Start Phase 3 trial

That's my estimate, anyway.

Yeah, I saw that. I thought it was a clinical trial. But on closer look I see that the term "phase II" is used in a different context.

• Like Like x 1
    4. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      "The drug that’s come out of all these studies, known as ORC-13661, is about 100 times more potent than PROTO-1 and actually works (in animals) to prevent both antibiotic- and cisplatin-related hair-cell loss."

Anyone know the names of the actual chemical compounds? I searched everywhere and couldn't find any info. Is it related to d-methionone?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they just screened a ton of small molecule drugs for activity.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Yeah, they screened like 10,000 molecules. I did not see any reference to any chemical name. They will probably not reveal that until later.

This is not as exciting news as I had hoped. But it's definitely a step in the right direction.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      From an earlier news article from 2016:
      http://cen.acs.org/articles/94/i11/Drugmakers-tackle-hearing-loss.html

I hope they meet their target. There is definitely a lot of activity now in the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is VERY exciting news!!! Just think of how many people this will help for their tinnitus not to get massively worse, or to even get it at all. I am so happy that they are finally about to go to trials. This is a very good day! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      A Clinical Trial for a New Drug to Protect Hearing
      The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a novel drug to protect against ototoxicity (harmfulness to hearing) due to the use of aminoglycoside antibiotics to treat severe infections. The FDA approval paves the way for a Phase I clinical trial to test whether the drug, found to be significantly protective in animals, is safe for humans.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      • Useful Useful x 1
    10. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Decibel Therapeutics and Oricula Therapeutics Announce Exclusive License for ORC-13661 in Phase 1 Development for Hearing and Balance Protection

A new hope for patients facing irreversible ototoxicity resulting from the use of an important class of antibiotics

Boston, Mass. and Seattle, WA, September 27, 2018Decibel Therapeutics and Oricula Therapeutics today announced that Decibel has obtained an exclusive, worldwide license to the development and commercialization of ORC-13661, an oral medication developed by Oricula Therapeutics for the prevention of hearing loss and balance disorders that can occur following treatment of severe infections with aminoglycoside antibiotics. Particularly susceptible populations include those treated for pulmonary exacerbations associated with cystic fibrosis, non- tuberculous mycobacterial infections, multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, and endocarditis. As part of the agreement, Oricula will provide ongoing scientific advice and support.

With roots in a research collaboration between the University of Washington and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, ORC-13661 was licensed to Oricula Therapeutics in 2013 to accelerate preclinical research activities and advance the compound into the clinic. A Phase I clinical trial to evaluate safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics is currently ongoing.

About ORC-13661
      ORC-13361 is a new chemical entity (NCE) currently being investigated for the prevention of ototoxicity which results from treatment with aminoglycoside antibiotics. It is thought to work by temporarily blocking aminoglycosides from entering into hair cells in the inner ear, thereby preventing damage before it can occur. Two relevant composition of matter patents, valid through 2036, have been granted by the USPTO and related global filings are in process. ORC- 13661 is also referred to as DB-041.

• Informative Informative x 5