Oscillating Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Svensk, May 18, 2020.

1. Svensk

Svensk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Does anyone have an idea why the tinnitus tone fluctuates? I just wish it was one stable tone but no, it oscillates, it's like eeeeEEeeEEeee, those EEs are at a higher frequency and sound louder and more shrill. It's pure torture.

According to my ENT I have synapse damage due to noise exposure. I'm 7 months since onset. I suffered a sudden loss in hearing and tinnitus was born, hearing came back instantly and all hearing tests were normal. Other ENTs weren't able to explain why that happened.

I'm trying to convince myself to accept this damn new reality but this oscillation is driving me crazy.

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      With that what do you mean? Is it like you don't hear anything for a split second and then tinnitus came up?

3. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tone was like that for about 12 months I think. Now it's a steady eeeee that is much easier to handle. I only get the eeEEeeEEE when I have a temporary spike, almost never

My frequency didn't oscillate though, just the volume/"texture" of the sound

I hope it becomes better for you too

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Svensk

Svensk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It was a split second reduction in hearing

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's called fleeting tinnitus, I think... it's quite common.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Svensk

Svensk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I used to experience fleeting tinnitus occasionally, no drop in hearing. This time was different and it happened after a noise trauma and after my ear was sore for two weeks.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Tinnitus changes often due to several factors like blood blow, bad posture, the kind of food we eat, noise, etc

Sometimes it's really hard to pin down the reason why it changes, although the origin may be clear (noise trauma). Even knowing the origin does not mean we can know which specific structure of our hearing is damaged.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Svensk

Svensk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The sad thing is that after a while of having tinnitus you start settling for less and less. From wishing that it goes away completely to wishing that it just becomes constant.

9. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Svensk hey how are you now? Mine has been oscillating widely this week and I am really struggling to cope.