Other Illness Makes Habituation Impossible

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Blinkysimon, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Blinkysimon

Blinkysimon Member

I have a mental condition that keeps me at high alert and anxious at all times. I need a cure for the tinninus. I would love to be deaf at this point. I'll do anything. Please give me some guidance. It's excrushiating pain to be alive for too long now.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Blinkysimon -

I have been struggling with how to answer your question.

You want guidance, but you say nothing about your tinnitus, how long you have had it, and in what specific ways it is affecting you. These issues - and many more - are the kinds of things I feel you need to be discussing one-to-one with a knowledgeable and experienced tinnitus clinician rather than on a message board.

I can tell you this, however. Deafness does not cure tinnitus; all it does is deprive you of the ability to use sound therapy. Indeed, if you "need" a cure, I am sorry to say that likely you will be waiting a long time for research to come up with one.

That's the bad news. The good news - the very good news - is that your life can actually be better with tinnitus than it was before tinnitus. I know that it is hard to believe right now, but it is true. It begins when you begin to stop viewing the world through the prism of your tinnitus. It begins when you stop letting tinnitus drive your bus - when you drive your own bus.

These things do not happen overnight, but they can be your reality. They most certainly are mine.

I wish you well on your journey. Perhaps the "Letter to a Tinnitus Sufferer" below will help start you on your way.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

Attached Files: