Otonomy Starting Phase 1 Trial in 2015 for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by attheedgeofscience, Jan 15, 2015.

1. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Gave a call to Otonomy where they took my name, #, and email address. I would like to be on their clinical trial if I meet their criteria.

Silverstein Ear Inst. in Florida called me back on my inquiry there and I brought up Otonomy and he (resident Dr.) said they would be conducting trials there. They (Otonomy) could have trials near to MN....just don't know yet.

I would like to go to FL though as it's warm and humid there and I like seeing the ocean.:)

I was doing pretty well lately on Gabapentin 600mg x 3/day plus Klonopin .5mg, but if I fall asleep I usually wake up with noise.:(

Looking back at @attheedgeofscience thread on Otonomy, I could have signed up there but I called beforehand not seeing that link.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I am not sure members would know which link you are referring to (I do have more than one post within this thread, haha...). :)

This is the one:

www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/otonomy-starting-phase-1-trial-in-2015-for-tinnitus.9017/#post-93572

And I suspect that you have the following webpage in mind:

https://www.research.net/s/Otonomy_SignUp

I don't believe the trial has actually started yet. The idea is to have a Q&A-session with Otonomy as the clinical trial date approaches (something which they are open to). @Team Trobalt will keep the forum up to date. Promise.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I bet 10-15 years from now we would all be laughing reading these comments and our tinnitus would have reduced a great deal! Maybe that seems a lot of time but its gonna happen for sure . Something will definitely come up to help us cope wayyy better. I can't imagine that all the efforts ,research and enthusiasm would yield nothing and we would be back to square one. Doesn't seem likely to me. At least something has to come up from all this!!

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. locoyeti
      Sunshine

locoyeti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2014
      here is a new document that a pretty good overview of the entire pipeline of Otonomy. Pages 5, 20, and 25 specifically relate to OTO-311.

Attached Files:

5. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      OTO-104, which has been granted Fast Track designation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)...

I think the same will happen with Autifony if phase 2 is successful in the UK and trial would open in the USA.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Does OTO-104 is gonna have impact on t. also, or it just vertigo part of maniere's d.?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Not sure but they are working on an exclusive drug for T as well- namely OTO-311 which is similar to AM-101...designed more for acute cases I assume.

9. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I don't think so. OTO-104 is a steroid injection through the tympaic membrane. Not sure what implications this has for T. It has merit if MD is indeed caused by autoimmune of inflammatory mechanisms, which could very be the case. Unfortunately the physiopathology of MD (if it even is a thing) is largely unknown at the moment.

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      OTO-104 is namely for Meniere's

11. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So, if OTO104 is approved to fast track realise, there is high possibility that OTO-311 is gonna have same treatment by FDA... But, why one more stuff for just for acute stage, whyyyy :(

12. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      FDA sees that this shit is getting out of control and we need solutions today and not tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      because it is easier to stop a weed in the beginning than after it has grown into a 20-foot monster.

the-little-shop-of-horrors-giant.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    14. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nice publications Lol
      But its hard to read that u are out of the game for cure that is developing.... Hate it, and if they stop it at the root, we all gonna be marginalized...

15. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      You're pretty much right about that. If a cure for acute tinnitus ends up being really successful I can't see companies keep working on something for chronic sufferers. The future market becomes inexistant.

16. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Judging by AM-101, NMDA drugs only help a small number of patients and only provided some relief - not a cure.

17. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      "There’s no money to be made if pharmacies charge the same amount for a pill that will cure as they do a pill that treats the symptoms, therefore, there is no money to be made in a cure—and there’s the contradiction. Because of this fact, big pharma only has two options if it wants to continue making massive profits: Charge disgustingly high prices for their cures, as is happening with hepatitis C, or don’t produce cures at all.

It’s no secret or controversy that major manufacturers are making a killing in the business of treating symptoms. Taking diabetes into consideration, global insulin sales are now $15.4 billion annually. If big pharma isn’t in it for the money, if it truly is about saving lives, then why are some cures only available to the wealthy?"

http://anonhq.com/chris-rock-on-big-pharma-no-money-in-the-cure-the-moneys-in-the-medicine/
      (for the record my dad has Hep C and said there is no way in hell he's paying $85K for a cure. By the way he also have extreme T, diabetes and heart disease)

18. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Yeah but I believe this is because of the flawed AM-101 study design. If the mechanism of action that Auris Medical themselves proposed is true, I do not think NMDA antagonist will have any effect if taken after 1 or 2 months. It needs to be taken a few hours after the traumatic event at most I feel. According to a recent report that was posted in the AM-101 thread, the average time after onset for the trial participant was 2 months. I don't think it is reasonable to expect stellar results that way. One can only imagine what the results would be if that figure was 48 hours instead.

However, the problem with that is that it would probably be very hard to get enough participants within such a narrow time frame. People don't get to see doctors within 48 hours when it comes to tinnitus, let alone enroll in a clinical trial.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nucleo, Erik, are there any results of AM101 phase II trial, final results, exactly % efficiency Vs Placebo etc?

And also for OTO 104? I could not find any numbers abt that :S

20. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
    21. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Nucleo tnx,
      English is not my mother language (as u all see i suppose lol ) so I will take a look at those tabels 2morow with more concentration...

What is your personal opinion abt result of AM101 efficiency? Is it gonna be effective after month of acoustic trauma, or more?
      Because I have some bad feeling, and economicly logic that if it really works, researches for chronic t are gonna fade away, not stoped but just symbolically done by some minor researchers...
      And this OTO311 is not making me happy, maybe I am selfish, but I am aware of economic fact...

22. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Even if AM-101 or similar drugs are effective for acoustic trauma, surgery, or ear infections if treated when acute, that still leaves a large aging population with tinnitus due to age related hearing loss, drug side effects or other reasons.

Thus drugs that can address tinnitus due to age related hearing loss (whether or not it affects hearing) or other issues will still have a large market. This is particularly true as life expectancy increases.

23. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      There is so little awareness about tinnitus that most people will opt to wait 2-3 days after a concert for the tinnitus to go away - especially since in the beginning it does usually go away within a week or two- but then one day, it stays forever and gets worse and worse over time. So, yes, I think a chronic market will still exist.

24. Frederico_23

Frederico_23 Member

Will have a billion dollar market. The world is noisier as ever, the young generation use and abuse of ipods, festivals discos. Life expectancy increases the rise of hearing loss market will grow a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I read another reddit post a few days ago that mentioned the guy had got T in january and received the injections in feb/march and experienced great results.
      I agree time does seem to be a factor though. I'm currently in talks with one of the coordinators of the study and will see if I am eligible, although I will be coming up on 3 months soon so it may not even be worth it if I am.
      Also, could you explain your scientific reasoning of why it should be done in the first few days instead of months? Just trying to get all the info I can before I make my decision. Thanks

26. OTO-311 - only for acute tinnitus? Where is this stated? I cannot find anything about only acute state in Otonomys texts on their website.

Hopefully also for chronic T ?
      Thanks

27. Tinnitus is a symptom of Meniere. Do you think OTO-104 won´t help with T?
      Only vertigo?

28. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Thats not true. There will always be chronic cases. Oftentimes people don't handle medical issues in a timely manner.

29. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      You may right about that. It really comes down to doctor/patient education.

• Like Like x 1
    30. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      After acute noise exposure, the inner ear is flooded with Glutamate and reactive oxygen species. This is what kills the hearing cells. AM101 and OTO-113 are both NMDA drugs that block excess Glutamate and allow the ear to withstand the trauma after effects much better...in laymans terms.

I used logical deduction.
      What we know:

AM101=NMDA drug=for acute tinnitus

Deduction:
      (If A=B and B=C, then A must =C as well)

AM-101=NMDA=Acute tinnitus, OTO-113=NMDA, there fore OTO-113=Acute tinnitus.

Hope that helps.