Otosclerosis Symptoms and Stapedectomy

Discussion in 'Support' started by golfie, Jun 21, 2020.

1. golfie

golfie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hello all,

I need your great support and advice to make a correct decision on Stapedectomy.

Background:
      I am 31 years old. I have been diagnosed with Otosclerosis in my right ear since 2 years and my ENT advised me to go for Stapedectomy instead of a hearing aid. But I was afraid of surgery and he told me that if I don't opt for surgery then the condition may worse or stay same.

I decided not to opt for surgery.

But recently the tinnitus on my affected ear has worsened and I feel dizziness/tiredness and ear fullness/clogged/pressure feeling almost every evening after dinner. Now I also sometimes feel the tinnitus in my left ear (hearing is still good).

Is ear fullness/pressured/clogged feeling is also a symptom of Otosclerosis?

I am often closing my nose and pumping the air out of the ears to get temporary relief. I think this is called Valsalva maneuver.

Could regularly doing the Valsalva maneuver affect something in my middle/inner ear or eardrum?

Now I am planning to go for the surgery since I am annoyed by the increased tinnitus and clogged feeling but my wife is pregnant and I am looking after her. We are expecting the baby in November and I got a date for the surgery in August.

Is it a good idea to go for Stapedectomy at this time?

Will I be able to recover completely in a couple of weeks post Stapedectomy so that I can start driving a car and look after my pregnant wife?

Would postponing the Stapedectomy for 6 months would reduce the chances of getting back hearing and affect my middle/inner ear more?

I knew these are lot of questions and I kindly request the members to share their valuable experience to make a correct decision.

Thanking you in advance and have a good day!

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Can you post your audiogram here? (blank out any personal info)

How was Otosclerosis diagnosed (i.e. why did the doctor think you have Otosclerosis)?

Recovery from surgery can vary. You will have packing in the ear which is going to make that ear go completely deaf until the packing is removed. That happens generally 1-2 weeks after surgery, and I would not recommend driving without having stereo hearing if you are not used to it (mono-hearing drivers are common, but they know they can't locate sound and have adapted through years - your brain doesn't).

I would limit the Valsalva maneuver as I doubt it is helpful for Otosclerosis. I think too much of it can be dangerous, and suspect it may have aggravated my case.

If the disease has affected your inner ear, you should probably think about the timeline for surgery. In my case, surgery + fluoride seems to have arrested the progression of the disease. Talk to your doctor about it. In fact, you should probably talk to 3 different doctors about this: it's a non-trivial surgery and you should have several opinions to form your own.

Lastly, check your surgeon's stats: what's his/her personal stats with regards to % of side effects after his/her surgeries? In particular, how many of his/her patients ended up completely deaf in that ear, got facial drooping, lost sense of taste or smell forever, etc.

Good luck!

3. Kimsvenk

Kimsvenk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi there!

Did you have the surgery already? I just had mine (Stapedotomy) done last Thursday, 10th September.

I'm curious how you have experienced the recovery period.

Cheers.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's a tough surgery. Recovery isn't easy, especially with severe tinnitus, because that's all you will hear until the packing is taken out. Hang in there until that point.

Do you still hear your tinnitus?

5. Arielle81181

Arielle81181 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I am 40 and had 2 Stapedectomies when I was 17. It was AMAZING how much my hearing improved... however my tinnitus also increased. I wouldn't trade the hearing for the world though. I am still technically on the grid with severe hearing loss but it is not in conversational tones so I can hear most people speak mixed with some lip reading.

Anyway this answer might be a bit late seeing as how your post is over a year old. I just wanted to share that I did the surgery, the recovery did kinda suck but it was totally worth it to me.

• Good Question Good Question x 1