Out of the Blue...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HPMony, Feb 12, 2018.

1. HPMony

HPMony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

very happy to have found this forum - have been reading it for a while, but only came to post now for the first time.

So it all began 2015 january or february, when I first had a sudden hearing loss (I heard absolutely nothing and also had a sense of losing pressure) in my left ear while I was driving. This happened a few times again after that, sometimes when everything was calm around me (sitting at work, working in excel) and it was always in my left ear and it was always happening for just a few second. My hearing always came back immediately and it wasn't annoying, so I didn't bother checking it our (they wouldnt have found anything anyway). Simultaneously I sometimes heard a loud spike in my ear, which also immediately faded after 2-3 seconds. And the 3rd thing in my left ear: I often heard a silent clicking (about 4-5 clicks) in my left ear, I still hear it on a daily basis, usually in the morning but quite randomly.

2016 december I visited my ENT because of these noises. Also I noticed that before going to bed I notice how loud my left ear is, as if my head was full from the day. He said that all is fine with my ear but prescribed me some gingko.

2017 June I developed a noticeable tinnitus in my left ear. It was quite quiet in the beginning, but of course I had a shock and immediately visited my ENT again. He gave me a cortison infusion for 10 days, didn't help anything. He said I should just get used to it (thanks eh....).

So I "got used to it" and didn't mind the silent noise in my left ear. However beginning of 2017 dec. the noise in my left ear became much louder, AND I got tinnitus in my right ear too! Here I had this sudden hearing loss twice, briefly before noticing the tinnitus. In my right ear it was at first 2 alternating noises, now its the same high-pitch, hissing noise as in my left ear (although still a bit more silent than my left ear).

The loundess was unbearable, I couldn't sleep for days and had panic attacks. All my doctors said my results are fine and if it won't go away, I'd have to get used to it. Nevertheless my doctor prescribed me pentoxifilin (a vasodilator, 300mg), and I still take gingko, tebonin (it's supposed to increase blood circulation in your inner ear). I'm visiting a traditional chinese medicine doctor who gave me pulverized medicine in order to drink it as a tea twice a day and is giving me acupuncture every 2 weeks. Absolutely nothing helps, and I'm afraid that my condition will only get worse, as nothing indicates an improvement.

Some things that may be noteworthy: I moved to Germany in 2015, shortly before the sudden hearing loss developed. I moved here because of my now-husband, but beginnings were really hard for me. Furthermore, I got a really stressful job that I have quite after 2 years, end of 2016. Also, my mother has meniéres disease which she developed after her mother has passed aways.

I assume that my tinnitus' development has to do with stress. Then on the other hand it wouldn't make sense to develop tinnitus 6-12 months after quitting that stressful job! I am otherwise happy and live a balanced life. I eat well, work out twice a week, don't smoke and barely have any drinks. I noticed that loud noises (disco, plane, etc.) don't affect my tinnitus at all, so at least I got that going for me...

Why did my body, seemingly out of the blue, develop this condition?? I was so looking forward to the plans I've had for the next few years: I'm 28, just got married in January and we were planning on having kids, but with this tendency I can't imagine taking care of a little baby.

I feel very left alone, because my tinnitus is obviously not caused by visiting a loud concert, but it seems to come from within. Nevertheless, all I hear from doctors is that I will have to get used to it...

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I am so looking forward to your tips!!!

• Like Like x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Although i'd say majority of the tinnitus cases can come from noise induced events/actions, it's not always the case that we get it or not get it because of loud sounds. Tinnitus can come for a variety of reasons. If it is here in your life, then trying to remain positive and calm is the way to go. Being obsessed and overprotective will take you backwards in your journey.

It will take time but you should be able to manage/adjust and live your life.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HPMony

HPMony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Thanks fishbone! I am doing alright mentally, I was just hoping some of you may have had similar experiences and may know the cause ;) On the other hand I firmly believe that it will get worse, so I try to enjoy each day as much as possible, until it becomes unbearable.

• Like Like x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      In my ears of experience 2 things CAN make it much worst. 1.Obsession 2.Stress/anxiety

Those 2 factors alone can bring on horrible tinnitus/spikes. So remain positive and live your life. Always do protect your ears WHEN needed. Not all sounds are bad and harmful...

• Agree Agree x 1