Outpatient Tinnitus Clinic, Self-Help Web Platform, or Mobile Application to Recruit Patients?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 21, 2017.

1. tinnitus-talk-hub-survey-frontiers-research-topic.png
      About a year ago we asked all of you to complete a tinnitus survey we created.

A whopping 5,017 of you did, which, as far as we know, made it the largest online survey ever carried out on tinnitus to date.

Later on, an article about the survey was published in the American Tinnitus Association magazine Tinnitus Today.

We, and the community, also piqued researchers' interest. This followed in further analysis of the survey results as well as us being invited to research conferences.

Today, we're proud to announce the fruits of our labor.

As part of the Frontiers Research Topic "Towards an Understanding of Tinnitus Heterogeneity," a scientific article we were co-authors of, has now been published.

The title of the study is "Outpatient Tinnitus Clinic, Self-Help Web Platform, or Mobile Application to Recruit Tinnitus Study Samples?"

readmore.png

Large sample sizes are required for understanding of tinnitus heterogeneity. It is investigated how these three different sets of samples differ and what the potential implications for clinical research are.

It may seem a modest achievement to some when the noises still persist in our ears and all of us want a cure or a treatment, but getting there is a process and one of the obstacles to tackle is further understanding of the heterogeneous nature of tinnitus and also the patient experiences.

It is therefore a great pleasure of ours to announce that in the near future we'll be launching a follow up survey investigating the physical links of tinnitus and also a project on tinnitus and exercise. Many people are able to modulate their tinnitus by different kinds of physical movements and activity, and we want to learn more about this.

There is a real change in the air. The research community are connecting more with patients and they want to know what matters to us as outcomes. We have an unprecedented opportunity to play a major role in ongoing research and understanding of tinnitus, on the road to the cure.

• Like Like x 19
      • Winner Winner x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well done Tinnitus Talk and Tinnitus Hub.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 4
    3. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      Amazing work, thank you to all involved.

• Like Like x 1
    4. jacob21
      Amazed

jacob21 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 > 2009 "cured" >2nd onset June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induce ( loud music )
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Finally some attention. Hopefully some day in my life time the nasty "learn to live with it" will be replaced with something effective.

Well done guys you are changing the history.

• Like Like x 1
    6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Finally, the medical and scientific communities get the value of patient input in research! It may not be a cure, but Tinnitus Talk indeed is making history. These are the same professionals who in the past were claiming online communities did nothing but spread misinformation and urged their patients to steer clear.

Congratulations and thanks to @Markku and @Steve. Your hard work and determination will make life better for all tinnitus sufferers.

• Like Like x 1
    7. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well done. Thank you. :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Gurutogod

Gurutogod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Menieres like attack
      Great work!!!!

Yes you can regulate your tinnitus with exercise, the key I found was to start slow, a gradual increase to your performance standards.

The noise level is intense at first but after several months you'll notice a dramatic reversal of your tinnitus noise levels. I go up to 4 or 5 days of very low tinnitus on a hard workout now.

9. Panos Spoudeas

Panos Spoudeas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I am so glad this forum exists - I know that when the cure comes I will first read it in my email.

Thanks for existing guys!