Pain Hyperacusis with Toddler and Newborn — Please Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by HopingForBetter, Dec 13, 2021.

1. HopingForBetter

HopingForBetter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Using ear drops to clean wax and subsequent actions
      Hi all. I really hope someone can help me.

Just over 2 weeks ago I made the awful decision to use Otex ear drops to try and clean wax out. That night I experienced light tinnitus. The next day I used the drops again, then thought better of it, and washed them out with the bulb syringe.

Shortly after I felt like water had been trapped in my right ear. I tried to get it out by jiggling my ear, using gravity, and a hairdryer on low. Nothing seemed to work. Shortly after I felt like I had water stuck in my left ear also. I used more water on both ears, but it didn't work.

The next morning (Monday) I was feeling quite sore, and had some tinnitus. I went to the GP and was told I had swimmers' ear and was prescribed Otomize drops. My left ear seemed to improve but my right didn't and I got a bit of a sore throat. I then went back to the GP and was prescribed Flucloxacillin.

There was no notable improvement.

At some point I noticed that I was experiencing mild tinnitus in my right ear. I also noticed that I was noting high pitched sounds that didn't normally register - notably the fridge humming.

On the Friday evening I was finding it difficult to sleep due to tinnitus. I therefore put on headphones and listened to white noise. I woke up and had dreadful pressure and pain in both of my ears. The next day the pain was still present. By evening my husband insisted we went to A&E. The off duty GP said there was signs of infection in my right ear but my left had too much wax. He prescribed Amitriptyline for the pain.

That night I couldn't sleep. It was horrific. I was reluctant to take the Amitriptyline but eventually I did as I just couldn't sleep.

On Tuesday I got a referral to an ENT, who I saw on Thursday. She was very dismissive when I mentioned hyperacusis, and microsuctioned both ears (there was a lot of wax in the left ear). She said there was no real indication of anything being wrong with my ears - though the left was a little inflamed. The swab of my ear also was returned as normal.

She prescribed Cilodex but I haven't been able to get the prescription filled. My GP practice prescribed an alternative this morning, which I have not yet received, but I'm worried about taking it.

I am due to return for a hearing test in January.

The pain is really severe. I'm finding it difficult to cope, and very difficult to sleep. Having a toddler and a 3 month old baby it's impossible to isolate myself from noise, and it doesn't seem to be all noise that intensifies my pain. I'm finding it really difficult to identify what noises are problematic - particularly as each ear seems to react differently. However, I think it is high pitches (which isn't great with a crying baby).

I'm so lost as to what to do. It seems impossible to cut myself off from noise but i don't know how I can carry on as things are.

I'd be really grateful for any advice. Please.

Thank you so much.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Charburchar

Charburchar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sorry you're going through this. Your ears need to heal, so try to stay away from loud noise as much as possible - no loud pubs/restaurants, parties, headphones, etc.

The fact your ENT microsuctioned your ears after you said you were experiencing hyperacusis fills me with rage actually. They should not have done that!

Background sounds to cover the tinnitus might help with sleep (put Netflix on in background, calming sounds, etc, whatever fits best).

I had really bad hyperacusis for about six weeks, but it got better. Time is the best medicine for ears so just be protective of the them, get plenty of rest (I know this is hard with a baby!), and things will start to get better.

Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      Welcome to the club that nobody asked to join. I have had hyperacusis for almost 3 years now, and I have come to learn that everyone's experience with the severity / type of sounds, and journey to heal and make life adjustments is different. So, give yourself some patience while you learn what aggravates it. I can tell you from personal experience, that it does get better, but it takes a long time.

Second piece of advice - I am currently raising a toddler that was born while having hyperacusis. So, I know all too well how screams, screeches and cries absolutely obliterate you when hyperacusis is a factor. My best advice is to get used to wearing hearing protection around them. I keep a set of Peltor X4As on standby / on the ready whenever I know we're about to make a toddler upset. Foam earplugs work great too, but in my opinion, are less convenient. You can take the Peltor earmuffs on and off at will.

Third piece of advice - Give your ears and hyperacusis time to rest and heal. That means saying NO to doing loud activities where the risk of on-going aggravation is high. That means doing more quiet time listening to soft music / ambient noise. Make time to heal and recover. So important.

• Like Like x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HopingForBetter

HopingForBetter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks so much for replying.

If I had been more on it, I should have refused. But I asked her if it could be problematic and she was so adamant not. It's difficult to navigate when you're in the hands of an expert.

Did you have any pain with your hyperacusis?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HopingForBetter

HopingForBetter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks so much for your advice. It's really helpful, and I'm so grateful for it. My husband and I are arranging some more support for the coming weeks so that I can have some more time just being quiet. But I can't isolate myself from the children completely so will definitely wear ear protection and take things steadily.

Trying to maintain a positive attitude also as it's so easy to fall into a negative spiral.

• Hug Hug x 1