Pain in Temples and Face When Hyperacusis Is Bad

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adriel93, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      Anybody else feeling pain in the temples, around the eye, cheek and jaw when you hear external noises?

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, all those are symptoms derived from hyperacusis. It could pain irradiating, it could be inflammation, or interaction between nerves, etc It could be due to a number of different reasons as you see.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Juan damn, I’m seeing a chiropractor and he told me he might be able to relieve it by aligning my spine, and by massaging my muscles around my neck

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yeah, the muscles around jaw, neck and shoulders may be influencing the feeling of pressure, specially if you get tense due to loud noise or the prospect of noise. Massages can help, but to a limited extent; in a few days you will be the same. Massages provide very limited relief and in the long run they may prove to be totally ineffective, like in my case. After many years, massages lose their effectiveness.

Changes in diet, exercise and phisiotherapy work best at the beginning. In the long run the body gets used to all this and the improvement derived from them is not so great.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Juan so you’re telling me, massaging or chiropractor won’t help me out

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The can help at the beginning, or when you are extremely tense or cramped up. In the long run, the effects of massages are less and less noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. EDogg

EDogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/27/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Adriel93

As @Juan stated, pain radiating to temples, around eyes, cheeks, jaw, scalp and neck are all associated with hyperacusis. I have this too. It is likely referred pain in the trigeminal nerve distribution. Why this occurs is not yet known. A leading theory has to do with overcontraction of tensor tympani muscle (as an involuntary response to hyperacusis), leading to ischemia, inflammation and pain. For me, I notice it when my threshold drops and H&T worsen. I find the pain resolves as hyperacusis improves. It can be very unpleasant when you are in the thick of it. I find that icing my ears, head and neck really helps calm it down at least temporarily. I hope this helps.

EDogg

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      how the hell would a chiropractor do anything or a massage to stop audiotory noiception?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @EDogg thanks for replying...

What do you mean by when your threshold drops??

And to be honest I feel like cold always makes my symptoms worse, so I feel like I have to stay away from icing or anything like that

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. EDogg

EDogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/27/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Adriel93

I probably should have said when my tolerance for sound decreases, I have more pain symptoms. Hope that clears it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      I have SEVERE migraines and tension headaches from noise exposure.
      They start within 30 seconds after I get exposed to sound that triggers it.
      When it's really bad I get electric shocks, brain zaps and feeling that my left side of the head is ON FIRE. Very intense burning sensation.
      Some times the pain or burning sensation irradiates to my temples or other parts of my head.

Hyperacusis manifests itself in headaches and neuropathic pain in my case.

Sometimes I experience pressure on my eardrums, but it's rare. I once had experienced pain in my right ear from exposure to traffic noise.

It went away completely (100%) after I spent 2 weeks in quiet environment (under 60 db) after course of HBOT.

It came back with noise exposure (over 90 db) and since then it got worse since I'm in noisy environment right now.

@Contrast
      Tagging you for reference point.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Rojo

Rojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin/Xiflaxin
      How long after your H onset did you get HBOT?

13. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      8 weeks after tinnitus onset and 4 weeks after severe aggravation from acoustic trauma that resulted in hyperacusis.

If you have had it for 3 months or less you can try it.

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      no he won't,. he's a total quack if he thinks he can treat noise induced pain.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Contrast to be honest I did get some relief from it.... when ever I have neck pain, I get really bad headaches and my H gets worse. After a few times of visiting my chiropractor, I hardly notice my H

• Winner Winner x 1
    16. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      do you define hyperacusis as over amplification of noise, or noise induced pain? (or both)

What exactly did he do?

17. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      What originally caused your hyperacusis?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Contrast noised induced pain. He pretty much just cracks my back and neck, and I also get a neck massage, which relaxes the muscles around my jaw and neck...

I don’t know what cause my H. It came out of nowhere. Same with my T... my chiropractor and ENT told me that they think my neck is causing me these problems. And I’m starting to believe it

• Like Like x 2
    19. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What's your opinion on antidepressants?
      Several psychiatrists that I met told me it can be reduced or fixed by taking antidepressants.
      I asked around on other forums and some people supported this statement.

On one hand it makes sense since, but from research that I've read it seems that hyperacusis comes from neurons reacting to hair cell damage and I don't see how any antidepressant can affect this.

20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Some doctors prescribe SSRI, which means:

This is the first bit from Wikipedia:

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are a class of drugs that are typically used as antidepressants in the treatment of major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders.

The exact mechanism of action of SSRIs is unknown. SSRIs are believed to increase the extracellular level of the neurotransmitter serotonin by limiting its reabsorption (reuptake) into the presynaptic cell, increasing the level of serotonin in the synaptic cleft available to bind to the postsynaptic receptor. They have varying degrees of selectivity for the other monoamine transporters, with pure SSRIs having only weak affinity for the norepinephrine and dopamine transporters.

SSRIs are the most widely prescribed antidepressants in many countries. The efficacy of SSRIs in mild or moderate cases of depression has been disputed and may be outweighed by side effects.

21. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      A lot of the posts in this thread correspond to my situation. Massaging around the areas on the face and head that correspond to the trigeminal nerve, massaging the neck and shoulder blades too can definitely help to a certain extent.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Gman have you had long term relief with massages?

23. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I wouldn't say long term relief. I just do it a bit each day or as needed, especially when I feel things tightening up around the jaw/ear area. I mostly wish this pulsatile humming, that is somehow connected to the trigeminal nerve, would go away. Massages can help reduce it.
      I have noticed that any discomfort or pain generally happens on days when I have reactive T/H/whatever, when my tolerance to sound is lower.

24. pjstephe

pjstephe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1,2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      At last posts that I can relate to.I first developed T at the end of June 2018.Within a week sensitivity to sharp sound.Few weeks later Chronic daily migraine.Over the months conditions changed to where they are now which is T that has become louder and daily migraine which feels like a numbing electrical pain that encompasses the left,right trigeminal nerves and the back of head.I feel the sound sensitivity pain on my temples.Does this sound like Hyperacusis with migraine or just migraine?Seems now that my jaw an neck muscles are a large part of the problem now where initially I had no issue.Could be a stress response over time.Hard to find anyone who has any experience with complex problems such as mine. Starting to believe that one issue compounds to another as my brain is over reacting and interpreting and presenting minor pain as more than it is.Central sensitization I believe it's called.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Well, these things compound, and there are doctors trying to cathegorise and classify all this. Trying to classify hyperacusis and tinnitus into several compartments, and discussing whether the problem is central, peripheral, functional or organic. It doesnt matter at all, because the bottom line is that they do not know how to fix it, and they do not really know how to place patients into one group or another, they are just guessing.