Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) — Experiences on What It Does for Pain Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Jun 7, 2021.

1. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Hi,

I have mild to no pain hyperacusis but I wanted to make a post regarding a supplement I have tried, which is also supported by positive lab data, which to me has been effective in reducing inflammation. I fully admit pain hyperacusis is not my primary complaint but I feel for you guys and wondered if anyone has tried Palmitoylethanolamide in case it might actually help.

A few articles:
      It seems to work by reducing the inflammation and pain response, regardless of the type of pain, in a way similar to a cannabinoid, but more selectively and potentially more powerfully. I have been taking it just to see if it could reduce general inflammation and for me it seems effective, but I wondered if anyone with pain hyperacusis has tried it. I'd love it if this helped someone!

I have very bad tinnitus and this has not worsened it at all, in fact it seems to help a smidge if anything.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi GBB,

Glad to see the PEA might be helping your tinnitus. Are you still taking it? I am considering taking it for severe cervicogenic headaches, that have become a daily joyful feature over the past month.

I've known about PEA for several years, but instead opted for stem cells for severe joint pain.

I am miserable with the pain, but careful not to take something that is going to exacerbate my tinnitus.

I am currently on Boron, which can drive down inflammatory markers, increase calcium uptake into bones, increase estrogen in menopausal women and increase testosterone (good news for men with EDS).

Also considering following the Root Cause Protocol to rebalance minerals as per Dr. Mosley.

If all else fails, it will have to be LDN and/or CBD without THC.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I take it daily. It seems to help marginally which classes it above 99% of things. That and Kava Kava are the only things which have ever done anything for the tinnitus.

4. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Hey @DebInAustralia, you should look into Psilocybin as well. Granted, it likely is illegal but it has a strong anti-inflammatory effect and there are a couple of success stories I read about treating cervicogenic headaches and cluster headaches (as well as tinnitus). Recent studies suggest it might even be beneficial for trigeminal neuralgia and similar nerve disorders.

Aside from that, as you already know, LDN could help as well. I read many people get remission from headaches using LDN with the hypothesis being it’s related to neuro inflammation. You could also try fasting, as there is a friend of the family who has completely cured his debilitating headaches through fasting and diet.

• Like Like x 1
    5. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @GBB, I took today 2 x 500 mg of PEA due to a terrible headache.

But after the 2nd dose, about 3 hours later, I felt sort of dizzy and nauseous. Did you ever experience this? Seems like these are some of the known side effects of PEA. The tinnitus has been quite good all day though.

6. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Dirk de Ridder proposed PEA to me in combination with Spirulina. It might have a positive effect on tinnitus. Dosage 400 mg every other day.

Has anyone ever tried this and what was the result for your tinnitus?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have not had any nausea, but I'm sorry that happened to you! It would be interesting to see if your tinnitus stayed better and if the nausea persisted.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seems to help my tinnitus a bit but not enough to cure me.

9. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GBB, PEA, even in a small single dosage of 4-500 mg seems to lower/ease my tinnitus within an hour of consumption. It seems less shrill and less reactive.

Maybe it's worth to try out over a period of time - if not every day, maybe every other day in small dosage. I didn't feel dizzy unless I doubled the dosage.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have been taking this for a little over a week. 800 mg for the last 5 days or so, split up as two 400 mg doses. Might be too soon to tell, but so far it does nothing for my nerve pain nor my tinnitus. I have almost constant level 6-7/10 acid burning pain in the areas supplied by the trigeminal nerve and the occipital nerve for context.

I also think it has been triggering headaches, and this may not be a direct effect but I have had more issues with falling asleep this week. Going to stick to it for at least a month and will probably do an update in another 3 weeks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Going to try this, along with Ambroxol. Purchased Nootropics brand. Thanks for the information.

12. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      To just add some more information:

A ClinicalTrials.gov search shows that PEA, in micronized and ultra-micronized forms, has been used in at least 30 clinical trials.

Notably, there are separate ongoing studies involving fibromyalgia (linked to peripheral and central neuroinflammation) and COVID-19.

With Sjogren's, I should be a good guinea pig. Be nice to me and I won't bite.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I use PEA with limited success - 10-20%. We used it for Sjogren's syndrome and the like - There's many similar like conditions to Sjogren's which I have - joint inflammation - mouth pain - nerve pain - eye pain. Observed - patients --- tends to work better for those who are sentimental - lost hope. It may be that for those with tinnitus/hyperacusis - it helps with nerves of the ears and surrounding areas.

14. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have only just noticed your post. I am sorry. the pain lasted about a month. Replaced with a concussion in July and now another relapse in my tinnitus since October (not sure why - antibiotics/hormones).

I seem to be experiencing more head noise, which is really bothering me and the noise seems to be fizzing which again is bothering me a LOT.

Not sure I'd be game to trip...

How are you going with your tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      Hi, I am sorry to hear about your suffering. Did this supplement provide any relief at all for you?

16. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What dose do you take?

I have been advised to take 600 mg bid for its antihistamine effects.

17. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Are you still using PEA?

18. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @DebInAustralia, yes, but only 400 mg a day (taken with food/dinner).

19. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I found that PEA is one of the drugs in this pill along with BPC-157, KPV and Tributyrin.

20. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I just started taking PEA the past few days. Hoping it helps with the nerve pain.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. Sean Stinson

Sean Stinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I was prescribed PEA for nerve pain and I had no luck with it. But I did notice it took the edge off my tinnitus - for about 4 hours. I now use it regularly and I find it helps. I get maybe a 25-30% reduction in perceived loudness, which means it doesn't drive me mad constantly.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      PEA might be helping my pain too but I'm not sure because I'm taking several other things at the same time.

23. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      Which brand did you use? I have widespread nerve pain too and I am excited to try it soon.

I didn't test it yet, although I bought PeaPure capsules.

24. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I went through a bottle of PeaPure and not sure if it helped much really. I'm currently using the Nootropics Depot version. They are definitely high quality but expensive.

25. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      What dose do you take?

I've started taking 1200 mg daily now. Apparently it gets more effective over time.

I'm using about 40 other supplements at the same time so not doing this at all scientifically and will never know truly if it works for me or not but I don't care as long as the pain is down.

Something completely eradicated my pain this morning for a few hours, probably a bit of a few things.

26. Sean Stinson

Sean Stinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Sorry for the late reply.

600 mg. Recommended dose is twice daily, but I have slackened off a bit since I started taking it due to a bout of flu. Also, I didn't mention that I was taking Lyrica for 2.5 years. I quit about 6 months ago after reading it can exacerbate tinnitus. So I may still be having discontinuation from it. Also it made me put on 10 kg and I don't think it was helping the CRPS. Actually seems to be better WITHOUT the Lyrica!

Another thing I have tried recently is Clonazepam. 0.5 mg at night for nights when the tinnitus is so bad I can't sleep. I find it effective. I didn't have it last night and this morning my tinnitus is a lot worse than usual. (I was prescribed it for morning and night, but find taking it at night is enough).

A couple of other factors in my recent experience - I was so sick that I ended up in ER (hence my late reply here). Over the course of 6 weeks I (involuntarily) gave up alcohol and caffeine. Only since feeling well enough to crave my morning coffee again and a drink at night I'm noticing the tinnitus more again. So those two definitely have a negative effect. Being out of the noisy work environment due to illness has probably helped a little as well.

So in summary I'd say PEA and Clonazapam, good. Alcohol and caffeine bad.

27. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      PEA does nothing for me.

When I drink alcohol, it definitely makes my tinnitus worse during and the day after too.

I drink coffee every day, but I don't think it has any effect really. It's hard to know when there are so many variables.

I hope you're doing better now!

Personally, I want to stay away from benzos since I will most likely abuse them. They are never a long-term solution.

I'm kind of just habituating. It's not perfect but there are not really many options.

28. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      Mind sharing how did you quit Lyrica (Pregabalin)? I am on 200 mg and I have taken Pregabalin for about 2 years to help with benzo withdrawal. What was your tapering scheme and how easy was it?

• Hug Hug x 1